FQDN on logon screen, why?
Dear all, I've recently set up 2 windows servers, running server 2008 R2. At the login screen after your press CTRL ALT DEL it used to give the format: **OurDomainName\Administrator e.g. mydomain\Administrator However now it's for some reason giving the format: **OurFullyQualifiedDomainName\Administrator e.g. mydomain.internal\Administrator Being relatively new to windows server 2008, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as to why this has suddenly changed. Many Thanks.
September 4th, 2010 9:30pm

Please try to add a DNS suffix for your domain (Do it on the computer on which you have this problem): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc786695(WS.10).aspx Once added, check that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled: http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/netbt.htm After that, try to open a session using mydomain\username This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2010 9:34pm

This problem is on the Domain controller itself not a client, however from what you've put could it be that this is due to me enabling reverse lookups within DNS? Many Thanks for your reply.
September 4th, 2010 10:50pm

This problem is on the Domain controller itself not a client, however from what you've put could it be that this is due to me enabling reverse lookups within DNS? There is no reason so that enabling reverse lookups within DNS will cause a such issue. This is a problem due to NetBIOS resolution. Please perform what I mentioned in the previous reply on the domain controller. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights
September 4th, 2010 10:55pm

Hi Dcjg70, One of the reason for this is raise in the functional level of Windows Server 2008 domain/forest. You probably need to ensure that the functional level you are running currently capable to resolve Netbios names. I am sure that it looks for FQDN only because Netbios resolution or support disable due to some reason. Please let us know in case we help you more in this. Regards, TilakIT Consultant
September 5th, 2010 9:10am

The servers are brand new, and are running Windows Server 2008 R2 both with a Forrest Functional level of Server 2008 R2 I've checked the Netbios for the adpaters and they both say that Netbios is on default. This issue is strange, as all was well and this is a clean install of Windows server 2008 R2. On the logon screen I just don't understand why it used to say: Domainname\Administrator and now its adding .internal to the end so it looks like this Domainname.internal\Administrator Any help would be greatly appreciated.
September 5th, 2010 4:10pm

The servers are brand new, and are running Windows Server 2008 R2 both with a Forrest Functional level of Server 2008 R2 Based on that article, I don't think it is a problem with your Functional level: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771132%28WS.10%29.aspx Have you tried what I told you? You still not told me the result. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
September 5th, 2010 4:17pm

Hi dcjg70, Thanks for post here. So have you got any issue when logon system by using just “administrator” ? By default system will record the last logon user name, so I suspect that this is because someone who last time locally or remotely logon this system was inputted this format username. You may like to check the audit log to verify. If you want to prevent this , modify the security setting could be done. Interactive logon: Do not display last user name http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785301(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 7th, 2010 7:01am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics