FQDN..
hi guys... i have an active directory DNS , that every host on my domain has a host (A) entry in DNS configuration , but from any client on the domain when i ping another host by its FQDN , Th ping doesn't response , form exmaple: i have a host which name is MIS , and Active Directory DNS's name is : Exmaple.com when i ping MIS.Example.com ; it doesnt response , when i ping MIS he response.... P.C sometimes it woks out , that i can by FQDN without any problem....what's the matter?
January 24th, 2010 4:10pm

Please point your client to the Dns server It should resolve the issues. Make it sure that your Dns is healthy and replying. On way to check your Dns is replying back and working well would be NSLOOKUP from the command prompt. Thanks http://technetfaqs.wordpress.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 24th, 2010 5:20pm

Thank you for your replay.... when i run nslookup it gives me the request time out as: DNS Request timed out... can't find server for name ..... what did that mean , even i configured DNS setting correctly on both server and client as Active Directory Integrated.
January 24th, 2010 5:34pm

Hi Hadi ,Can you post the unedited ipconfig /all output from a) server b) client 1 c) client 2
January 25th, 2010 4:27am

a) ipconfig /all from clinet1: Windows IP Configuration Host Name.................: client1 Primary Dns Suffic......: MyDns_Name1.MyDns_Name2 Node Type..................: Unknown IP Routing Enabled......:No WINS Proxy Enabled....:No DNS Suffix Search List..:MyDns_Name1.MyDns_Name2 Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix.: Description.............................: MyNIC Description Ethernet NIC Physical Address....................: MyNIC physical address DHCP Enabled........................:NO IP Address..............................:MyClient1_IP Subnet Mask............................:MySubnetMask Default Gateway.......................MyDefaultGateway DNS Servers............................MyActiveDiretory_IP MyExchangeServer_IP a) ipconfig /all from Server Windows IP Configuration Host Name.................: server Primary Dns Suffic......: MyDns_Name1.MyDns_Name2 Node Type..................: Unknown IP Routing Enabled......:No WINS Proxy Enabled....:No DNS Suffix Search List..:MyDns_Name1.MyDns_Name2 Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix.: Description.............................: MyNIC Description Ethernet NIC Physical Address....................: MyNIC physical address DHCP Enabled........................:NO IP Address..............................:(MyDns_Name1.MyDns_Name2) _IP Subnet Mask............................:MySubnetMask Default Gateway.......................MyDefaultGateway DNS Servers............................MyActiveDiretory_IP MyExchangeServer_IP p.c: (MyDns_Name1.MyDns_Name2) _IP means th IP of My DNS Server which is the ip of the server
January 25th, 2010 9:31am

1) Please disable the firewall or the AV running on your Dns server2) See if you have have Reverse Lookup Zone created with the correct pointers.3) Please telent port number 53 from your client. Telnet dnsserverip 53 and see what happens.Thankshttp://technetfaqs.wordpress.com
January 25th, 2010 10:40am

Thank you for your Reply... well on Server i dont have firewall or AV , beside i disable telnet service on server ....what i am going to ask ,that sometimes i can ping the clients with FQDN without any problems , sometimes i cant ... is that relates to telnet services?
January 25th, 2010 1:32pm

no telnet has nothing to do with it has some thing to diagnose the server with the ports opened from the client side. Have you tried restarting the DNS service and checking it, do you have any VLAN's or some managemeble switches which needs the configuration to reach the dns servers ?? please do let us know if you have any dns related events in the eventvwr.
January 25th, 2010 2:18pm

Do netdiag /fix on your DNS server.
January 25th, 2010 3:11pm

thanks guys....... well i did everything you've said , it's same, nothing had changed.... i want to ensure that the followings: is it normal that i can ping client by FQDN , then sometime i cant for example: sometime i can ping client1.DNS_NAME1.DNS_NAME2 otherwise i can just ping by client1 , the other shape i cant ping...... really confuse me , what that makes failed.....
January 25th, 2010 4:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics