FOIP - Not Getting the Picture
I work for a hospital that uses faxes heavily. I thought there may be some advantage to using fax over ip (FOIP) for sending faxes internally in our domain and externally. We have a Win2003 domain and are moving to Win2008 servers and Win7 workstations. We are also upgrading our point to point connections with outside clinics to 10Mbs. To test my thought I am attempting to try FOIP on a test domain I have. It is a Win2003 domain with a Win2008 DC, Exchange 2010 and a Win7 and Vista Pro workstations. I have installed the fax server on the Win2008 R2 server. When I try to fax from the Win7 workstation an account is automatically set up in the fax server but I cannot send a fax because I don't know what address to use for the Vista workstation. I have posted questions similar to the above on the print/fax forum but have not received a useful answer. I don't think I have the correct picture of how an FOIP fax solution is configured and what pieces are needed. What I want to do is the be able to send and receive faxes within the domain and to user outside the domain. Is this possible using MS servers/workstations? If it is what are the pieces I need?
December 15th, 2010 2:02pm

Hi Myrt, Before we go further, I would like to confirm what you want to accomplish in Fax service: 1. If you want to send/receive faxes directly from a personal computer which is run Windows Vista and Windows 7, the Fax service in SBS 2008 (Small Business Server) will do the trick if you have less than 75 users in the domain. You can route the incoming fax to an Exchange mailbox, file share or the document library in the SharePoint site. Users can send a fax from Windows Fax and Scan application which in included in Windows 7. However, please understand that those feature is not included in Windows Server 2008 fax service and you may need to develop your own apps/Dlls to achieve that if you have Windows Server 2008 (R2) servers. 2. If you have IP-PBX/VOIP gateway and want to implement a FOIP solution which enable sending and receiving faxes with T38 protocol via a VOIP network, you may need additional apps to extend the Unified Messaging in Exchange Server to support IP-optimized feature. Here is one of the Microsoft FOIP solution partner for your reference: Partner IP-Optimized Fax Solution Cost-Effectively Extends Unified Messaging www.microsoft.com/casestudies/ServeFileResource.aspx?4000011352 Hope this helps. Regards, BruceThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 17th, 2010 4:46am

You answered my question. Win2008 fax server will not do what I want.
December 17th, 2010 9:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics