FIM multivalue attribute export to SQL - error 0x80230808

Hi,

Running FIM Synchronization Service v 4.0.3531.2 - Update1.

This instance is a simple setup, import from AD, export to SQL. I'm trying to export two multivalue attributes, one is a normal multivalue string, second is a reference attribute (member). My anchor is the GUID from AD in string format, perfectly fitting into uniqueidentifier sql datatype.

Since I wanted to have the member values in the multivalue table also stored in a uniqueidentifier column (for further linking) I had to create two columns, one as "uniqueidentifier" and second as "text". FIM configuration went smoothly, I defined a member multivalue reference attribute and selected the uniqueidentifier column as "String attribute column", and the other multivalue string attribute had to be linked as "Large string attribute column" and I pointed it to the text datatype column.

Synchronization completed without errors, export step properly exported all multivalue string attributes to the text column, BUT when it came to exporting the GUID reference attribute to the uniqueidentifier column it exported only the first value showing a "dn-attribute-failure" error. From the FIM GUI it was only showing the error number = 0x80230808.

I did a SQL trace to see what's going on. I re-run the export and saw FIM trying to delete all the values for this attribute multiple times with:

DELETE from [tblAD_Multivalue]  WHERE [objectGUID] = N'{B011B424-5B2F-43A9-84C5-8605A570487B}' AND [attributeName] = N'member'

followed by doing cursor magic with the first value that was already added:

exec sp_cursor 180150007,4,0,N'tblAD_Multivalue',@objectGUID='B011B424-5B2F-43A9-84C5-8605A570487B',@attributeName='member',@guidValue='2E52A484-C7F6-49C0-AAC8-0A30C732A385'

After repeating the above for over 10 times it added a export_error_detail:

update [mms_connectorspace] set [export_error_detail] = N'<export-status>
 <cd-error>
 <error-code>0x80230808</error-code><error-literal>[Modify] Failed operation</error-literal>
 </cd-error>
</export-status>
',[count_export_error_retries] = 0,[is_export_error] = 1,[initial_export_error_date] = '2011-02-12 21:36:08.995',[last_export_error_date] = '2011-02-12 21:36:08.995',[export_error_code] = -2145189885,[unapplied_export_batch_number] = 1,[unapplied_export_sequencer_number] = 2162572,[original_export_batch_number] = 1,[original_export_sequencer_number] = 2162572,[current_export_batch_number] = 4,[current_export_sequence_number] = 2216213 where ([object_id] = '6F5C98E3-38FF-4F32-95F6-B5A315B71D7A')

I tried manually adding one of the following values directly to SQL and it worked, so I'm not really sure what's wrong here.

Any ideas?

Piotr

February 13th, 2011 1:28am

To process multi-valued attributes with a SQL MA, you must implement a specific architecture.
The requirements are documented in Help under Multi-Value Tables for Database Management Agents.

Cheers,
Markus

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 13th, 2011 6:04am

Hi Markus,

yes, I know all about the architecture to allow multi-value attributes to be exported to SQL.

Everything works when I have just one string value column in my tblAD_Multivalue. The problem is that my anchor in the primary table is a GUID in a uniqueidentifier SQL column type (in FIM MV it's a string), so when I'm exporting multivalue reference attributes to SQL I would like the GUID values also to go to a uniqueidentifier type column. That's why I set up the secondary column in the multi-value table with text datatype, so FIM recognizes it as a "large string column". I think I did everything within the guidelines, so I was puzzled when I saw that error.

Consider this simple example, you're exporting users and groups from AD, you're anchor data type is uniqueidentifier, and you need to export the member attribute and the proxyAddresses attribute. What would you do to allow future SQL joins to calculate membership?

hope this explains a bit more this scenario, would appreciate any suggestions.

Piotr

February 13th, 2011 11:17am

I can't say I've used FIM to do this, but I've definitely been able to do it with ILM 2007 FP1, and the ONLY thing that stumped me back then was that I was using a VIEW for the main table/view and getting export errors - not sure but it might be the same one you're seeing.  Anyhow, I found that the error was not thrown when I converted the view to a table, and introduced SQL triggers to manage the delta column.  Your issue may be different, but this is just in case you're also using a view.
February 13th, 2011 4:30pm

I can't say I've used FIM to do this, but I've definitely been able to do it with ILM 2007 FP1, and the ONLY thing that stumped me back then was that I was using a VIEW for the main table/view and getting export errors - not sure but it might be the same one you're seeing.  Anyhow, I found that the error was not thrown when I converted the view to a table, and introduced SQL triggers to manage the delta column.  Your issue may be different, but this is just in case you're also using
February 13th, 2011 6:28pm

Hi,

I did a confirming full import and full synchronization from the SQL MA. As expected outbound synchronization showed the group membership that was not exported (only the first entry per group was). I tried running export again, and this time it worked, the member attribute was properly exported to the uniqueidentifier column in the multi-value attribute table.

I'll see how the following sync runs go, and will try to repo this in a clean setup. For now this is resolved.

Piotr

February 15th, 2011 11:21am

I've the same problem that can be resolved as you explain, but why??

Why a full import and sync are needed?

And why only the first member is imported and the other throw error?

Thanks for replay.

Regards.

Luka.

March 9th, 2011 1:00pm

I do not know why are we seeing that error, it shouldn't be there, it's a by the book setup.

Markus, could we get some more input from the product team?

March 11th, 2011 12:19pm

Definitely it is wort to take a look at from PG - from my quick assessment problem is when the main table\view is actually a view - in my case with a UNION statement. When I will replace it with a table - it works, but to view - same error. Can do a repro every time. But I was using such configuration in a past with no problem.

Right now I'm kind of stucked as I can't get it working with workaround as Piotr has proposed- it is not working for me this way. 

February 26th, 2014 2:01am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics