FIM Licensing and Installation

Hi,

I'm sorry  for this stupid question but I have a doubt. Until now I worked in a test environment with the trial version of FIM 2010 and I didn't use any license. Now the trial version is expired. My organization bought licenses and I would like to now how to better use them.

My test enviroment is composed of several servers: 2 of them are dedicated to FIM components (one with FIM Sychronization Service and one with the Service and the Portal).

I read about two type of licenses: CAL and 'for server'. To replicate my test environment, how many licenses do I need? I assume 2 server licenses, is it correct?. If I would simulate user provisioning from HR to Active Directory, do I need any CAL license in the test environment? 

And another issue: the installation of the official version is the same of the trial version? Can I use the same setup of the trial version? Do I need to use any certification?

The licenses that I will use in the test environment can be later used for the production environment?

Thanks in advance.

Francesca

March 6th, 2012 8:57pm

Francesca,

for every server you install FIM server components on, you'll need a FIM server license.
So if you have 2 servers (1 for FIM Sync and 1 for FIM svc and portal) and 2 server licenses, you're fine.

CALs are needed for every identity managed in the portal.

The Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) provides licensed users the ability to access and use enterprise products covered by their subscription for Development and Test purposes only, not for production environments.

Normally you shoud be able to use the same configuration in test /trial as in production.

What do you mean by certification?

Kind regards,
Peter

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 6th, 2012 9:15pm

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply.

Can you clarify me the meaning of your sentence "The Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) provides licensed users the ability to access and use enterprise products covered by their subscription for Development and Test purposes only, not for production environments." How can I use it? Can I use it for the CAL in the test environment? I didn't understand..

"Normally you shoud be able to use the same configuration in test /trial as in production.".. so can I use the same setup.exe of the trial version? The license request is a step of the installation of the setup.exe?

Thank you very much.

Francesca

March 6th, 2012 10:15pm

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 22:15:25 +0000, Francesca85 wrote:

Can you clarify me the meaning of your sentence "The Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) provides licensed users the ability to access and use enterprise products covered by their subscription forDevelopment and Test purposes <../../../../wiki/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-components-sitefiles/10_5F00_external.png> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx>only, not for production environments." How can I use it? Can I use it for the CAL in the test environment? I didn't understand..

Peter is saying that a subscription to MSDN will allow you to use FIM (and
a whole lot more) in your test environment for far less money that it would
cost to purchase full FIM server licenses and CALs.

"Normally you shoud be able to use the same configuration in test /trial as in production.".. so can I use the same setup.exe of the trial version? The license request is a step of the installation of the setup.exe?

Like the vast majority of Microsoft products, licensing is done on the
"honour" system in that there are no physical licenses to in

March 7th, 2012 6:59am

Hi!

I didn't quite understand how can I upgrade a license for an expired FIM trial version.

We have a FIM server, with an expired trial license, and a license that we purchased to upgrade the trial version to the fully operational version.

What is the process to "infuse" the license we've purchased, to the expired product?

Thanks!

Marom.

September 10th, 2013 10:07am

Hi,

from what i know there is no way to do so.

Only way i think is to deinstall the trail Version and Install Retail Version of FIM with reusing the current Database of Sync and Service/Portal.

regards
Peter

September 10th, 2013 10:14am

Thanks for your reply :)

Wow... 

Can't this cause some issues? 

As we all know, the FIM environment is a delicate one, and I'm afraid that uninstalling and reinstalling, might cause some things to stop working :(

I sure hope there's a better, less painful alternative :) 

September 10th, 2013 10:22am

I've done this 2 weeks ago, while updating from 2010 to 2010 R2 Sp1,

Because i also had to Change from WSS3.0 to Foundation 2010 there was no other way.

While you are reinstalling the same Version there only should (if so) a minimal Impact.

Maybe someone else know another way, but i dont think so.

Peter

September 10th, 2013 11:08am

Hello all,

license model has changed as of 1. April 2015 (no its not an aprils fool).

FIM Server license is now part of Windows Server license, only CALs are needed in addition.

See: https://identityunderground.wordpress.com/

and: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2487.how-to-license-fim-2010-and-mim-2015.aspx

/Peter

April 2nd, 2015 6:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics