External Web Server Search

Hi,

I have SharePoint search configure and it is working fine.  However, we are migrating an old web server to a new physical box.  This is old school web server, nothing really fancy, just web pages.  It is used for public facing information.  However, currently it is using PERL and the new server will not have PERL.  I have configure SharePoint to crawl the web server.  I have created a new public facing sharepoint page with SearchApp on it.  I want to limit the results to the web server only.  Can this be done?

Thanks.

August 27th, 2015 5:02pm

Hi,

Yes you can configure it.

Create a new search service application and add the url of the Webpages in the content source. (no other content source or url to be added other than the web server)

Under associate Service application section -> Configure the new Public Facing site to use this new search service application created specifically for the web server.

Hope this helps :)

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 31st, 2015 7:47am

Hi ,

If you want to search only one particular web server url content from SharePoint, you can create a custom result type(search scope in SharePoint 2010) to limit returned search results to a particular web url.

e.g.

{searchboxquery} AND Path:"http://yourWebServerUrl/*"

See more about SharePoint 2013 search result type from below article.

http://techmikael.blogspot.com/2013/04/limiting-search-results-in-sharepoint.html

http://brainlitter.com/2013/03/22/sharepoint-2013-search-scopes-are-gone-but-dont-fret/

Thanks

Daniel

August 31st, 2015 8:10am

Hi,

In SharePoint 2013 Result source (Scopes) have only four following option. Using which i don't think we can crawl external web server pages (As per the description in Question)

Local SharePoint

Remote SharePoint

OpenSource

Exchange

September 2nd, 2015 6:50am

Hi,

In SharePoint 2013 Result source (Scopes) have only four following option. Using which i don't think we can crawl external web server pages (As per the description in Question)

Local SharePoint

Remote SharePoint

OpenSource

Exchange

September 2nd, 2015 10:49am

Hi,

Local SharePoint

Remote SharePoint

OpenSource

Exchange

Hi,

Local SharePoint

Remote SharePoint

OpenSource

Exchange

Hi,

Local SharePoint

Remote SharePoint

OpenSource

Exchange

Hi,

Local SharePoint

Remote SharePoint

OpenSource

Exchange

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics