External USB Drive not recognized for backup

I'd like to back up my WSE 2012 R2 server to an external Seagate HD.

File explorer sees the drive (WSE assigns it a drive letter) and you can easily copy or delete files from it, however the WSE 2012 R2 Server back-up wizard does not recognize the drive at all.

I get an error message that says something to the effect that "The wizard cannot find any drives that are suitable for a backup destination ...."

I'm stumped. 

August 30th, 2015 7:27pm

Hi:

Strange that it says there is nothing there.  Can you verify the format of the external USB drive?  It should by NTFS 4k sectors.  If not try formatting it to those specs.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 31st, 2015 10:46am

Yeah, I suspect it may have a protected partition on the USB drive that is preventing WS2012E from seeing it as a viable drive for backups. Reformatting the drive (NTFS) should fix

August 31st, 2015 12:56pm

Had not considered a protected partition.  You can verify the number and size of partitions in disk management.  Assuming there is nothing on that drive you want use disk management to remove all partitions and create one, format NTFS, 4k sectors.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 31st, 2015 1:43pm

Thank you for the replies, I've been out of town on business.

OK, I'm stumped, the drive has been formatted several times NTFS 4K sectors. It is completely empty. 

The Dashboard sees it fine, and when I try to add it to do server backups it comes back with that same error message.  I just reformatted it again, using the WSE 2012 R2 server to do it, still nothing.  It is an empty 1 TB Seagate drive.

Help? 

September 2nd, 2015 9:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics