External Disk Security
The system disk on my Windows Home Server 2008 failed. I have to rebuild the disk array from scratch. I want to access the data from the disks that belonged to the pre-crash array. I've attached one of these disks to a client computer using a USB port. Using Windows Explorer I can see the folder I want to access on this disk (E:\DE\shares). Although I can see the files I want to access within E:\DE\shares, I can't copy them. I receive the message "This is no longer located in ...". My user account is an administrator account. The owner of E:\DE is the administrators group. I can't take ownership of this folder because my account is greyed out in the new owner panel. The administrators group has full access to E:\DE. There is a lock icon on the icon associated with E:\DE within Windows Explorer. My premise is that this "lock" is the root cause of my problem. Questions: I'm an administrator. I should have full access to everything on my computer. How do I copy files from the attached USB drive without getting hassled with locks and permissions? If you agree that the root cause of my problem is the lock icon on E:\DE, how do I get rid of it? Thanks in advance ...Wayne Baxter
May 12th, 2012 11:57am

Hi, Please visit Window Home Server Forum to get a better resolution: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowshomeserver Thanks for your understanding! Best Regards Elytis ChengElytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 14th, 2012 4:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics