Extended Flat File Disassembler - GetNext - Using FileStream

I've based my extended Flat File Disassembler on the example http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/17140/Debatching-Large-Messages-and-Extending-Flatfile-P That uses a MemoryStream to pass on the disassembled data.

msg.Context = ibmParam.Context;
IBaseMessagePart msgPart = pCxt.GetMessageFactory().CreateMessagePart();
System.IO.MemoryStream memStrm = new MemoryStream();
xDoc.Save(memStrm);
memStrm.Position = 0;
memStrm.Seek(0, System.IO.SeekOrigin.Begin);
msgPart.Data = memStrm;
msg.AddPart(ibmParam.BodyPartName, msgPart, true);
outboundMessages.Add(msg);
pCxt.ResourceTracker.AddResource(memStrm);

This works...

However, due to the amount of data I need to process, using the above, I run out of memory. So I'm planning to replace the MemoryStream with a FileStream.

Question.

In the example above, the MemoryStream is created but not closed. So does the FF Disassembler expect the msgPart.Data to be an open IOStream? Or, when I change to a FileStream,  should I call Flush() and Close()?

Thanks

July 27th, 2015 7:22am

Before anyone can give you specific advice, we need to understand the context of this code. Does it run in .Disassemble or .GetNext?

Some general recommendations:

1. Do not use a FileStream.  For large messages, use VirtualStream which is automatically buffered to disk if necessary.
  2. Adding memStrm to the ResourceTracker here is no necessary since it is directly referenced by the Message.
  3. Using an XmlDocument or xDocument in a pipeline is rarely a good idea.  Why exactly do you have this?  We can probably recommend something better.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 27th, 2015 7:32am

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your questions - recommendations.

This code runs in .GetNext()

"VirtualStream"  - Thanks - I will try that out.  

"ResourceTracker" - That was in the original example - I'll remove it.

"XmlDocument or xDocument" - My system is down at the moment - I'll respond with my exact code when it's back up.

July 27th, 2015 8:51am

Before anyone can give you specific advice, we need to understand the context of this code. Does it run in .Disassemble or .GetNext?

1. Do not use a FileStream.  For large messages, use VirtualStream which is automatically buffered to disk if necessary.
  2. Adding memStrm to the ResourceTracker here is no necessary since it is directly referenced by the Message.
  3. Using an XmlDocument or xDocument in a pipeline is rarely a good idea.  Why exactly do you have this?  We can probably recommend something better.
July 27th, 2015 11:28am

Thanks for the reply.

"XmlDocument or xDocument" - My system is down at the moment - I'll respond with my exact code when it's back up.

• Marked as answer by TreforE 14 hours 58 minutes ago
July 27th, 2015 12:48pm

Thanks for the reply.

• Marked as answer by TreforE Monday, August 03, 2015 4:06 PM

Thanks for the reply.

• Marked as answer by TreforE Monday, August 03, 2015 4:06 PM

VirtualStream - that fixed my problem .. Excellent - Thanks

August 3rd, 2015 12:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics