Extend System Partition ( C: Drive) Win 2003 Server
I'm running extremely low on the system partition of one of my 2k3 servers. The physical disk is 36 gigs with 12 gigs allocated to the C: drive and 24 allocated to the D: drive. I had some SQL database files on the D: drive as well as a swap file. I've created a new D: drive using SAN space and moved everything from the previous D: drive to it. My solution: converting the C: drive to a Dynamic disk and deletinf the first D: to make it unallocated space.Then extend C drive into unallocated space with Disk Management. Could anyone tell me it work? Any suggestion appreciated!! Eric
April 18th, 2011 2:38pm

Hi Eric, I don't suggest you to convert basic disk to dynamic disk, Because you can not revert it back without losing data after converting. What's worse, your solution may fail. There is a user who has the similar situation as you. He get a error message when extend system partition on dynamic disk: The selected volume is a system or boot disk or was created on a basic disk in an earlier version of Windows and cannot be extended. Therefore, you had better not to convert it, there is other better solutions. Solution1: If you have migrated the data on D drive and it will not be used any more. You can delete it, then it will become unallocated space. In such case, you can extend C drive to contiguous unallocated space with server partition manager. The detailed tutorial: http://www.partition-magic.org/windows-server-2003/extend-system-partition-windows-server-2003.html Solution2: You don't have to transfer the data on D drive, you just need to shrink it and add the unallocated space to C drive. The step by step introduction: http://www.partition-magic.org/server/add-unallocated-space-to-existing-partition.html
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 18th, 2011 4:58pm

Let me tell you the helpful resource with the step-by-step guides. Aomei Partition Assistant Server Edition, which can directly solve your problem. You will find that the useful server partition manager can add the unallocated space to your C: drive to further extend system partition
April 19th, 2011 9:40am

In windows 2003, by using build-in features we cannot change the size of a partition without delete and recreate. Thus you will need to use a third party tool such as Partition Magic provided by Mark. It can help move space from Drive D to Drive C without loosing data.Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
April 21st, 2011 10:35am

Hi Eric, Do not convert the disk from basic to dynamic you might not be able to boot from it. There are various tools that you can use for allocating your D drive space to C: but trusted one is partition magic.
April 21st, 2011 10:43am

Hi guys, Thanks for all replies!I also would use more safe methods rather than converting to dynamic disk. I am quite busy at the moment and have had no time to try. But I will follow all the solutions and try this weekend.And I will share my idea with you.
April 22nd, 2011 9:05am

Sorry for my late response. I have tried Aomei Partition Assistant last week and it is not only easy of use, also reliable. I solved my problem without conversion and all the data intact. Thanks Eric
April 27th, 2011 1:21pm

resize partition would be the better choice. The step by step introduction: http://www.resize-partition.com/help/resize-partition.html
September 14th, 2011 11:47pm

I am afraid that you'd better resize partition instead of converting the C: drive to a Dynamic disk and others. there are many 3rd party partition magic servers resize partition perfectly without data loss.
September 21st, 2011 5:19am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics