Export Failing in Both Portals

I have been trying to export an Azure SQL Database from both the Manage and Portal portals and it keeps failing.  The error details are included below, but it is generally an "Unable to authenticate request".

Looking through previous forum posts, I have tried adding the SQL login to "dbmanager" role which was successful, even though it should already be the principal.  I have also checked that Windows Azure Services is allowed on the server.

What else could the problem be?

<html version="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 2.0//EN" xml:lang="en" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/SCHEMA/xhtml2.xsd" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"><HEAD><TITLE>Request Error</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><DIV id="content"><P class="heading1"><B>Error Status Code:</B> 'BadRequest'</P><P><B>Details: </B>Error encountered during the service operation. ; Exception Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dac.Services.ServiceException:Unable to authenticate request; </P></DIV></BODY></html&g

Thank you, Justin

April 22nd, 2015 2:20pm

Hi Justin,

If you don't mind answering, I have a couple of quick follow up questions which will help me better understand your situation.

1. Have you tried to export the database using the Server Principal login? This is the login created when creating the Azure SQL server.
  2. Are you using a V12 server?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 22nd, 2015 5:08pm

Thank you Eli.

1) Yes the user I am using the is first SQL user created during the database creation process.

2) Yes, I believe so, I choose the upgrade to V12 option during creation and properties reports LATEST SQL DATABASE UPDATE is enabled.

There only two other things I can point out, I did set "SECURITY ENABLED ACCESS" to REQUIRED to ensure all client access is encrypted.

Also this database was created using an upgraded database using the SQL Migration Wizard for SQL 2008R2.

April 22nd, 2015 5:23pm

Eli,

I was able to resolved the problem by switching SECURITY ENABLED ACCESS to false.  My guess is the export service does not detect or support the required encrypted connection.  Now I can export without a problem.

Just a note, I did not have the Auditing or Dynamic Data Masking enabled.  This might be helpful for future support or a future fix for export.

Thank you,

Justin

• Marked as answer by Justin G 99 8 hours 38 minutes ago
April 22nd, 2015 6:40pm

Eli,

I was able to resolved the problem by switching SECURITY ENABLED ACCESS to false.  My guess is the export service does not detect or support the required encrypted connection.  Now I can export without a problem.

Just a note, I did not have the Auditing or Dynamic Data Masking enabled.  This might be helpful for future support or a future fix for export.

Thank you,

Justin

• Marked as answer by Justin G 99 8 hours 28 minutes ago
April 22nd, 2015 6:45pm

Eli,

Thank you,

Justin

• Marked as answer by Justin G 99 Wednesday, April 22, 2015 10:39 PM
April 22nd, 2015 10:39pm

Eli,

Thank you,

Justin

Eli,

Thank you,

Justin

Eli,

Thank you,

Justin

Eli,

Thank you,

Justin

Eli,

Thank you,

Justin

Eli,

Thank you,

Justin

Hi Justin,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are actively working on fixing this issue. When using SECURITY ENABLED ACCESS the import/export service is unable to connect with the SQL Database, however if you do need to export your database while using SECURITY ENABLED ACCESS a workaround is to use the client tools' (SSMS/SSDT) export functionality.

For example if you login with SSMS you can right click on the database, select Tasks, and use export data-tier application. 

Regards,

-Eli

• Marked as answer by Justin G 99 14 hours 53 minutes ago
April 23rd, 2015 12:12pm

Hi Justin,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are actively working on fixing this issue. When using SECURITY ENABLED ACCESS the import/export service is unable to connect with the SQL Database, however if you do need to export your database while using SECURITY ENABLED ACCESS a workaround is to use the client tools' (SSMS/SSDT) export functionality.

For example if you login with SSMS you can right click on the database, select Tasks, and use export data-tier application. 

Regards,

-Eli

• Marked as answer by Justin G 99 14 hours 43 minutes ago
April 23rd, 2015 12:13pm

Thank you Eli, that is good to know.
April 23rd, 2015 12:25pm

Hi Justin,

Regards,

-Eli

• Marked as answer by Justin G 99 Thursday, April 23, 2015 4:24 PM
April 23rd, 2015 4:13pm

Hi Justin,

Regards,

-Eli

Hi Justin,

Regards,

-Eli

Hi Justin,

Regards,

-Eli

Hi Justin,

Regards,

-Eli

Hi Justin,

Regards,

-Eli

Hi Justin,

Regards,

-Eli

The issue I mentioned above is now resolved.

• Marked as answer by Justin G 99 11 hours 30 minutes ago
April 30th, 2015 3:45pm

• Marked as answer by Justin G 99 11 hours 21 minutes ago
April 30th, 2015 3:46pm

• Marked as answer by Justin G 99 Thursday, April 30, 2015 7:45 PM
April 30th, 2015 7:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics