Explorer tree doesn't expand correctly
Hi,I'm having a problem with Explorer on Server 2008. The problem occurs on all drives and directory structures. Using the left pane when there are sub-directories and I click on the + sign next to the main directory an animiated search icon appears but the tree does not expand. If I left click on the main directory in the left pane I get a correct set of sub-directories in the right pane. Eventually (minutes later) the tree on the left will expand but does not always show all the sub-directories under the main directory.What can I do to correct this incorrect behavior?Thanks!
December 18th, 2008 9:21am

Hi, This issue may be caused by corrupt file or conflicts of software or virus/spyware. I suggest scanning your system completely to make sure the system is clean. If no antivirus software was installed, you can try online scan. http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. Please help to clarify the following information for research. 1. Is there any software or hardware installed before this issue? 2. Does this issue occur on all user accounts? At the same time, I suggest we test in Safe Mode to narrow down the cause of this issue. Restart the computer and keep pressing F8 key.Select Safe Mode and press Enter. 3. Open some folder to test. If the issue doesnt occur, it indicates this issue may be caused by some startup program or third party files. Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 19th, 2008 12:12pm

The O/S was installed about 2 months ago. It is protected by Panda Anti-Virus and is scanned weekly. This issue existed after the initial installation of the O/S before any other software was installed. Theproblem occurs when logged onto the domain and as a local Administrator. I don't know what it would tell me to boot into safe mode (and I would have to drive 15 miles to get physical access to the server) since the problem occurred with no 3rd party applications installed. Even if it was OK under safe mode what that tell me? What could I do about it if I knew it worked on safe mode?Any other thoughts on this?
December 25th, 2008 7:25am

HI,Safe Mode will disable all third party and unnecessary Windows components. It will help to narrow down the cause of this issue. If you dont want to test in Safe Mode, I suggest we try Clean Boot which will disable startup items. Please note, this issue may be caused by Panda Anti-Virus files. 1. Click Start, type "msconfig", switch to Services, click Hide all Microsoft Services. Click Disable all Services. 2. Switch to Startup tab, click Disable all. Click OK to restart the computer.Is there any progress? If not, lets try to check system files. Click Start, type "sfc /scannow". If the issue still continues, please help to collect System Information and send to tfwst@microsoft.com for research.Thanks.
December 25th, 2008 1:05pm

I can give the startup stuff a try but before I do that I will uninstall Panda. I don't think it is Panda since as I mentioned this started with post install before I had a chance to install any software on the server. Removing it isn't difficult and it will remove the possiblity that Panda is the issue. I'll let you know what I find out. I'll probably try it this evening using Remote Desktop. Will turning off the non-Microsoft startup programs cause remote desktop to fail? If it does I will have to drive in which I'm hoping to avoid. Thanks.
December 26th, 2008 6:19am

Hi,Turning off non-Microsoft startup programs will not affect Remote Desktop. Waiting for your update. Thanks.
December 26th, 2008 8:54am

Hi,1) I uninstalled Panda agent and Panda communications but the tree problem was still there. 2) Iturned off all non-Microsoft services but the tree problem was still there. 3) I turned on all non-Microsoft services.4) I reinstalled Panda.5) I ran sfc and it said it did not find any integrity violations.Thanks for the ideas and help.Joel
December 26th, 2008 8:36pm

Hi,Please run the MPS report (PFE version) on the server for the analyzing. The MPS Reporting Tool is utilized to gather detailed information regarding a systems current configuration. The data collected will assist you with fault isolation.A . Please download MPS Reporting Tool (MPSRPT_PFE.EXE) from the following link: (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00ad0eac-720f-4441-9ef6-ea9f657b5c2f&DisplayLang=en)Please note: The link may be truncated when you read the E-mail. Be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when navigating to the download location.B . Right click MPSRPT_PFE.EXE and select Run as Administrator to run this tool, and you will see a Command Window start up.C . Please type Y with the message of <Include the MSINFO32 report? (defaults to Y in 15 seconds)[Y,N]?D . When the tool is done you will see an Explorer Window opening up the %systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab folder and containing a <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. Send this file to tfwst@microsoft.com for research. Thanks.
December 30th, 2008 10:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics