Explorer
I was wondering how come now since IE7 is bundled with Windows Server 2008, why if I enter a url into the "address bar" does it not open in the same window?
August 22nd, 2007 4:04am

Do you enter it into the address bar of Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe) or the file explorer (explorer.exe). Back in the days the webpage would render in some kind of hybrid mode. Nowadays if you enter a url into the address bar of explorer.exe it'll spawn iexplore.exe to show the page. Or did I misunderstand your question?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 22nd, 2007 9:20am

Hi Joachim, In the old days yes it did behave how you stated when Explorer looked more like IE6 than IE7, however now that I'm on 2008, I was thinking that maybe it's best to revert back to the old behaviour, albeit with a new interface and a more well defined series of instructions relating to how everything from URI's are handled to local systems and network files. I honestly don't like it spawning new windows anymore just like I don't like it when I try to view computer properties and manage the local machine yet another window console is opened. I hope you can address my concerns
August 22nd, 2007 9:30am

Well, explorer.exe is for browsing files or the local computer if you will. The other windows opening are because when you right-click an object, say "my computer", it's another program handling your request when you select properties. For the same reason Internet Explorer is opened when you enter an url. I'm afraid that this is not going to be addressed since this is the way it's going to be, kind of. You could of course start lobbying for a change for the next version of Windows.
August 22nd, 2007 10:53am

Obviously more work can be done in this area because uniformity and a streamlined approach should be the hallmarks of Microsoft Windows and not that which is constantly aspired to, so instead of me lobbying, how about you do it for me instead. Cheers
August 23rd, 2007 9:38am

If I was a member of the product team or an Microsoft employee I'd be happy to, but I'm not so...
August 23rd, 2007 2:33pm

I must say that it feels rather obvious. Andchange is probably a matter of opinion.
August 24th, 2007 2:47pm

I don't know about you but I like uniform methods of working instead of disparate modes of operation.
August 25th, 2007 4:21am

I love IE7 but I sure as hell miss the consistency of IE6 and Windows Explorer together.
September 25th, 2007 5:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics