Explorer.exe resumes when logging on
I assume that the same happens when logging on to the console of the server?It seems to me that the problem has nothing to do with Terminal Services, so I'd suggest that you repost in a general Windows Server forum. You'll probably get more help there. Vera Noest MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal ServicesTS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
June 23rd, 2009 12:08pm

Indeed, the same happens when logging on to the console of the server. Thanks for your reply and I'll repost my thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 23rd, 2009 2:29pm

Behaviour: On a Terminal Server (Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2) when a user logs on he has no taskbar and icons. With Ctrl-Alt-Del you can start the Task Manager and by that certain programs. But you cannot start Explorer.exe using the Task Manager. It closes immediately without any message. I presume that it starts because every time I start Explorer.exe in safe mode , it shows the message that it runs in safe mode and you can see the process coming up in Task Manager, but after clicking 'ok' it shuts down again. When I try to start EventVwr.exe using Taks Manager I get the error 'Class not registered'. Attempts so far: - Scan for viruses, trojans, malware, (you name it...) - Followed all steps described in KB 318027 - Tried secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose - Tried sfc /scannow - Checked register for Shell -value as Explorer.exe in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon - Replaced C:\Windows\Explorer.exe - Tested C:\Windows\Explorer.exe on another server and it worked fine. - Rebooted the server (also in safe mode) with the network cable disconnected and logged in as local administrator All with no result... Thanks in advance for ANY HELP!
June 23rd, 2009 2:31pm

hi there, I would like you to test this behavior locally on the machine, if this is happening locally on the TS then i would like you to have a complete system scan for virus and trojan.A quick way to eliminate the issue is to check the behavior in safe mode. sainath !analyze
June 23rd, 2009 4:28pm

Hello, As mentioned in my mail I've fully scanned the system and nothing malicious was found. What I forgot to say is that I rebooted the server with the network cable disconnected and logged in as local administrator but without succes. Also the safe mode made no difference. But thanks anyhow for your support!
June 23rd, 2009 5:11pm

Hello, Please see these settings in the registry of the server. Go to registry Start>Run>Regedit.exe navigate to the following HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon on the right hand side see this Shell Reg_sz Explorer.exeif there please delete it and try recreating it once moreFile > Edit>new > String Value name it Shell and Value data should be explorer.exeNote: Please make it sure that you have explorer.exe isthere in c:\windows folder and should notbe corrupted.Thanks http://technetfaqs.wordpress.com
June 23rd, 2009 5:38pm

Hello, I've recreated the registry string without result (after reboot). The copy of C:\Windows\Explorer.exe is not corrupted. I've copied it to another Windows Server 2003 computer and it works there. Thank you!
June 23rd, 2009 6:09pm

hi jan,Does the issue still exists ?, because from your previous thread its bit confusing if the issue got resolved or not.sainath !analyze
July 21st, 2009 12:16pm

Hello Sainath, I'm sorry to say that the problem still remains. Meanwhile I've de- and reinstalled terminal server and terminal server licenses but without result. For now I've changed the profile of the users so that, when they logon to the sever, an alternative menu program (in this case RocketDock) is started with the shortcuts to their applications. And, to look at the bright side, this increases the safety since no one can (try to) start any other programs than those in their menu...
July 22nd, 2009 9:16am

Hi jan serpieters,did you repost your query , if so please do update us the link , if not please let us know how to go about the issue.have a good day.sainath !analyze
August 1st, 2009 7:52pm

Since my problem is still not resolved I'd like to re-install the Terminal Server completely. Are there certain considerations I should take into account before starting (apart from things like backups, of couse...)? For instance, can I just register the Terminal Server licenses again or do I have to follow a specific procedure if they've already been registered once? Thanks in advance for your reply.
September 24th, 2009 11:47am

Since my problem is still not resolved I'd like to re-install the Terminal Server completely. Are there certain considerations I should take into account before starting (apart from things like backups, of couse...)? For instance, can I just register the Terminal Server licenses again or do I have to follow a specific procedure if they've already been registered once? Thanks in advance for your reply.
September 24th, 2009 11:51am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics