Explorer.exe consumes all available memory in Windows Small Business Server 2008
Only once a Network Administrator account logs on locally to my SBS server and somehow initiates explorer.exe (such as within the Event Viewer), memory utilization of the explorer.exe process grows to 98-99%, and there appears to be excessive paging and hard faults.Are there known issues with explorer.exe on this platform, hotfixes, etc? What is the best way to troubleshoot the problem?Correction: explorer.exe begins its upward memory use when I click Start and type something into the "Start Search" box.
December 30th, 2009 11:47pm

Hi Todd, THere are no known issues regarding explorer.exe consuming excessive memory. This behavior might occur due to many reasons. There is a dedicated SBS server forum which to handle SBS related queries. I would recommend you to perform some basic troubleshooting before posting it on to sbs a) perform windows updateb) scan your system for virus / trojan / malwarec) Please check the issue in safe mode with networking d) Please use process explorer from sysinternals forum whcih will help you to understand which thread in the explorer process is causing the problem , provided you have the understanding of process and threads. e) You can take an adplus dump of explorer and contact microsoft support for further analysis.For your convenience, I’ve included the link of Windows Small Business Server discussion group: Discussions in Windows Small Business Server Generalhttp://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs SBS08 Public Newsgroupshttps://connect.microsoft.com/cougar/content/content.aspx?ContentID=8333
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 31st, 2009 6:44am

I have the exact same issue I have a brand new SBS setup with Explorer using all my available memory. So if you find a solution please let me know.
January 19th, 2010 4:06pm

Hi, I have a new install of SBS2008 x64 on a loaded Dell T610 and explorer.exe is consuming 16GB of RAM... Has anyone officially reported this to MS? Thanks, Ben
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 21st, 2011 10:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics