Exhausting change notification handles (SMB requests on winxp)

I run an app, Matlab, on winxp 32 sp3, that internally uses change notification requests on a fair amount of directories and a good amount of those directories are remote (lan) on a win7 64 bit computer. When I start up the app it tells me I've run out of change notification handles. To find out if this issue was due to me or the remote computer, I ran a matlab with the same remote path needs on yet another win7 computer and observed no issue with running out of remote handles.

So, it seems that the problem is on my (client) winxp computer. Googling around I found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926646. It says to add some values/parameters to the registry to get xp to increase its change notification ability but it also required a hotfix that would get the xp to use those parameters (see below). However, when I tried to install the hotfix it said it wouldn't because my OS, being sp3 I guess, was more recent than the hotfix. I presume that means that sp3 already has the ability to interpret the parameters.

Unfortunately, after changing the parameters, nothing's changed. From what I can tell, there is no increase in the number of remote change notification requests it can handle.

Though a solution would be best, it would be helpful even if I knew how to see what values the OS is even using; to see if it had in any way incorporated the parameters I added to the registry.

=== relevant parameters:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters] ... "MaxMpxCt"=dword:000000ff

"MaxWorkItems"=dword:00000400

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters] ... "MaxWorkItems"=dword:00000400
August 10th, 2013 2:01pm

Hi,

I'm willing to help on this issue but as it is a Windows XP related topic, it is recommended to post on this forum instead:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=itproxpsp

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 12th, 2013 5:05am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics