Exclusive access could not be obtained because the database is in use

Hi

I am trying to use sql server 2005 management stodio to restore a database. But I got this error message:

Anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Li

April 11th, 2007 1:46pm

This error is occurring since some one is trying to access the database while the restore is trying to do a restore. Go to the Management -> activity monitor and see if some one is accessing the DB if so kill the process and then run the restore.

with Smile)s
Santhosh
http://sqlspy.blogspot.com
  • Proposed as answer by ArmZox Thursday, May 22, 2014 11:25 AM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 11th, 2007 3:19pm

when u restoer the database system should have Exculusive lock. in your case some process is using this database. you should kill those process which are using database. otherwise use this command

use Master

ALTER DATABASE yourdatabasename SET MULTI_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE;

Drop database yourdatabasename

BTW, though Management studio is good and it support all the feature, you must try all these command (Resotre/Backup/Kill /Single_user Mode) etc from the Query Analyser. It gives u a better understanding and it will clear your basics

Madhu

April 12th, 2007 7:51am

I would NOT recommend dropping the database. It is a complete waste of time. If you drop the database, then the first thing that the restore operation has to do is to recreate the database along with reallocating all of the disk space for all of the files. This can make your restore operation MUCH longer than it really needs to be.
April 12th, 2007 9:15pm

I'm having the same issue. I do not see activity manager under the management tree. Am I looking in the right place. A screen shot would be helpful if possible.

Thanks

Victor

April 16th, 2007 2:23pm

Use any script view (such as query analyzer) to execute the following script. This will put your db in single user mode and execute the restore:

Code Snippet

Use Master

Alter DatabaseYOURDB
SET SINGLE_USER With ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

RESTORE DATABASE YOURDB
FROM DISK = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\YOURDB.bak'

Aaron Smith

DiaMed - Diabetes Management Software

http://www.chirondata.com

• Proposed as answer by imughal Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:52 PM
May 19th, 2007 8:03pm

Error 3101
Severity Level 16
Message Text
Exclusive access could not be obtained because the database is in use.

Explanation
This error occurs when you attempt to load a backup while users are accessing the database. This error can occur with RESTORE DATABASE or RESTORE LOG. You cannot use the RESTORE DATABASE statement while the database is in use by any user, including yourself.

Action
Use the ALTER DATABASE SET SINGLE_USER to remove users from the database.

Or, wait until all users have finished using the database, and then use the RESTORE DATABASE statement. Make sure that you are not using the database being loaded when you issue the RESTORE DATABASE statement. Although not required, it is best to run the RESTORE DATABASE statement from the master database.

MAKE USE THAT YOU ARE RUNNING THE QUERY FROM THE MASTER DATABASE!

- If you invoke the query under the database you are trying to restore, you will continue to receive the Error 3101.

June 13th, 2007 8:13pm

hello,

Where is this option Activity Monitor?

Thanks,
Dom

June 19th, 2007 8:46pm

Aaronator wrote:

Use any script view (such as query analyzer) to execute the following script. This will put your db in single user mode and execute the restore:

Code Snippet

Use Master

Alter DatabaseYOURDB

RESTORE DATABASE YOURDB
FROM DISK = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\YOURDB.bak'

Aaron Smith

DiaMed - Diabetes Management Software

http://www.chirondata.com

As I am putting my DB in Single User Mode how do I return to the normal mode?

Thanks

June 19th, 2007 8:50pm

Felyjos wrote:

As I am putting my DB in Single User Mode how do I return to the normal mode?

When you restore a database, it will be restored in the mode in which it was when the backup was made, probably MULTI USER. In this case a restore will suffice.

To put a database to MULTI USER yourself:

Code Snippet

USE master;
GO

ALTER DATABASE << db name>>

SET MULTI_USER;
GO

Regards,

Jeroen

August 23rd, 2007 9:20am

What does the Rollback Immediate do?

August 28th, 2007 3:55am

Thanks! this was very helpful!

October 29th, 2007 6:31pm

Jason Love wrote:
What does the Rollback Immediate do?

From BOL

the termination option WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE in the ALTER DATABASE statement. All incomplete transactions will be rolled back and any other connections to the db will be immediately disconnected. If any users are connected to the db and some command need exclusive lock of db then that command can not be run . So to terminate the connections we uses this command

Madhu

October 30th, 2007 12:50am

Worked perfectly!!

February 21st, 2008 6:50pm

I tried the suggested solutions here and I am still getting the same error. Anyone have any Ideas?

March 26th, 2008 4:58pm

I tested this while having services running that would reconnect to the database. I found you had to set to Single User Mode, then run sp_who2 to see where the one connection was coming from, and note the SPID. You can run the kill command for that SPID and the restore in the same transaction, and it should go through. Here is the sequence I used:

USE MASTER
ALTER DATABASE DATABASENAME SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE
GO

-This will make it so only one connection to the database can be made.
-Run the following command to see where any recurring connections to database are coming from.

EXEC SP_WHO2

-Check this list, looking under the DBName column. If the database is listed, check the ProgramName, and HostName column to see who is attempting to connect.
-If it is not a service, or other application that would automatically reconnect which can be shut down, note the number in the SPID column to kill the connection, and immediately begin the backup. Replace SPID below with just the number.

KILL SPID
RESTORE DATABASE DATABASENAME FROM DISK = 'X:\PATHTO\BACKUP.BAK'
GO

-If this completes successfully, we can set the newly restored database back to multi user mode.

ALTER DATABASE DATABASENAME SET MULTI_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE
GO
March 27th, 2008 4:10am

By the principle that no one is suppose to be attached while a restore is being done, just detach and reattach the database. This will kick all sessions off and allow the restore to take place.

No its not very clever way of resolving these issues, but its effective with out being drastic.

Sometimes rogue sessions stay connected for whatever reason and are a nuisance to stop. So the above method just eliminates this time consuming process.

The same effect could possibly be had be stopping the agent.

The full methods to attach and detach is

Right click on the database in question.

Go to tasks and detach.

To reattach

Right click on Databases

Go to Attach

Browse to the Mdf and Ldf files on the relevant drives.

Now try your restore.

July 8th, 2008 1:20pm

Detaching and reattaching the database is a complete waste of time. If you have something sitting on the other side that is going to automatically create a connection, you are still going to wind up with the possibility of someone gaining a connection to the database as soon as it is attached, but before the restore starts. If ALTER DATABASE...WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE doesn't get the connections to stay out long enough to get the restore kicked off, then you can utilize DDL triggers, specifically logon triggers to control access to the database and keep everyone out while the restore kicks off.

July 10th, 2008 4:31am

We are having the same problem here.

I have a database, created by my app,over which I wish to restore a backup taken from another database that is controlled by the app (the underlying structures are exactly the same).

I have set the database to single user and can see this reflected in SSMS

I have run sp_who and can see absolutely no other connections to the database.

I am receiving the "Exclusive access..." message

I am going to take the scripted approach posted above, but have concerns about the Full Text elements of the restore. When performing a manual restore, I redirect these elements to another folder structure created specifically (we don't need them for the purposes of this restore).

The originally intend restoring to "sysft.EMGR_Item1_FullText", etc.

Pardon what may be complete ignorance, but if I attempt the restoreusing my backup (taken 2 days ago) using the scripted approach, will the FullText elements (which I can't therefore redirect) cause any problems for the existing live database (from which the backup was taken)

many thanks for any and all replies.

Steven

August 14th, 2008 12:37pm

Li556035 wrote:

Hi

I am trying to use sql server 2005 management stodio to restore a database. But I got this error message:

Anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Li

If you don not have any process running on your pc that uses your database like Enterprise Manager or any other third party application, use

SqlConnection.ClearAllPools();

in C# code before restoring. Like the following code:

Code Snippet

public void BackupAndRestore(string Query)

{

SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["ConnectToMasterDB"]);

SqlDataAdapter da = new SqlDataAdapter();

da.SelectCommand = new SqlCommand();

da.SelectCommand.Connection = connection;

da.SelectCommand.CommandText = Query;

da.SelectCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();

}

September 6th, 2008 11:38am

Ensure you are in the [master] database, not the database you are trying to RESTORE, otherwise you become the connection that is preventing exclusive access to the DB.

Regards,

-Darius

• Proposed as answer by Lucian L Friday, January 07, 2011 12:02 AM
September 12th, 2008 3:02pm

detach and reattach the database. This will kick all sessions off and allow the restore to take place.
No its not very clever way of resolving these issues, but its effective with out being drastic.

This worked perfectly for me and was an easy fix.

(As someone else comments, though, it may not helpif you happen to have some other process that immediately makes a new connection to the database as soon as it's re-attached.)
July 7th, 2009 9:50am

On SQL Enterprise Manager 2000, there was function All Tasks > Detach Database > Clear Button.
That Clear button is absent in SQL Management Studio, and only checkbox to Drop Connection.
Actually with Clear button you don't have to re-attach the database, because the purpose just to drop any active connection.

To SQL Team please add this function to upcoming service pack or release, and might be better to have under All Tasks > Drop Active Connections > Select Connection (All)
December 23rd, 2009 9:41am

Please check that whether any instance of query window is opened with same DB name?

This holds the current db resource to which you are going to override (restore).

Solution: Just close this window from query analyzer.  :)

-Rajiv Giri
Headstrong India
February 15th, 2010 1:55pm

Thank you Darius

it worked

Regards,

Nabi

June 1st, 2010 1:39pm

Thank you Darius !

It worked very good !

• Proposed as answer by GS2010 Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:13 PM
June 1st, 2010 4:37pm

Thanks for all the replies - they were helpful.

If anyone wants to know - I had to stop server - try backup - unable to connect to server - Start server - backup and it worked.

Then I went to log in but it reported failure to load database and after about 3 goes or 2 mins it was all restored.

July 28th, 2010 7:13pm

I had the same problem. If you use management studio, choose the option in the restore window which says "Restrict access to the restored database" and it would resolve the issue.

After the restore is complete reset the database back to multi_user mode.

October 19th, 2010 6:12pm

bru, 

select database , bring it offline and bring it online and try to restore database 

that worked for me

Tiki

February 16th, 2011 11:11am

Following How to Get Exclusive Access to SQL Server Database article will be of help to you.

Hope This Helps!

Thanks
Ashish Kumar Mehta

February 18th, 2011 6:44am

The way we fixed it was a bit more simpler then all these:

(using SQL Server 2005 as an example)

1.  Go to the Activity Monitor within Management dropdown

2.  On the left pane under "Select a page" click on "Locks by Object".

3.  Scroll over to the right & sort by "Database".

4.  Find the database that is appears to be locked (and trying to restore) and take note of the "Process ID" on the left.

5.  Click back to "Process Info" under "Select a page" and find the Process ID # from step #4.

6.  KILL IT WITH SWIFT PREJUDICE!

7.  Activate restore.

8.  Snicker as your restore is happening & the offending person is trying to reconnect.

April 15th, 2011 3:00pm

This error is occurring since some one is trying to access the database while the restore is trying to do a restore. Go to the Management -> activity monitor and see if some one is accessing the DB if so kill the process and then run the restore.

with Smile)s
Santhosh
http://sqlspy.blogspot.com
HEy, a mi me ha venido de lujo esta solucion.
April 27th, 2011 4:43pm

gracias!!
April 27th, 2011 4:43pm

i had this problem too, but i resolved it.

u should:

because of u are using ur db so u can not restore it by itself, therefor u should login with another db like master then u can restore ur db

public void RestoreBackup(string DBName, string Path, string BackupFileName)
        {
            SqlConnection con = new SqlConnection("data source=Bahman-pc;Initial Catalog=Master;User ID=sa;Password=123;Integrated Security=True;   Trusted_Connection=true;");
            SqlCommand com = new SqlCommand();
            string UseMaster = "USE master";
            string restore = "RESTORE DATABASE Battalion FROM DISK ='" + Path+BackupFileName + "' WITH FILE = 1 , REPLACE";           
            string Alter1 = @"ALTER DATABASE [" + DBName + "] SET Single_User WITH Rollback Immediate";           
            string Alter2 = @"ALTER DATABASE [" + DBName + "] SET Multi_User";
            try
            {
                con.Open();
                com.Connection = con;
                com.CommandText = UseMaster;
                com.ExecuteNonQuery();
                com.CommandText = Alter1;
                com.ExecuteNonQuery();
                com.CommandText = restore;
                com.ExecuteNonQuery();
                com.CommandText = Alter2;
                com.ExecuteNonQuery();               
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                com.CommandText = Alter2;
                com.ExecuteNonQuery();
            }
            finally
            {
                com.Clone();
            }
        }

• Proposed as answer by yanzi0407 Thursday, September 01, 2011 7:04 AM
  • Unproposed as answer by yanzi0407 Thursday, September 01, 2011 7:04 AM
July 15th, 2011 4:54pm

Restarting the SQL services would also fix the problem. It fixed for me :)
October 10th, 2011 8:44pm

Hi,

I am having the same issue on a SQL 2008 database.  The website is not live yet, so other than me, nobody would be trying to connect to it.  The database is on a sql only web server.  The website is on another web server.  I have several identical sites with their respective databases all running on these machines with no issue.

When I try to run:

Use Master

Alter Database myDatabaseName

(of course putting my actual database name there :)

I get this error:

Msg 5061, Level 16, State 1, Line 5
ALTER DATABASE failed because a lock could not be placed on database 'myDatabaseName'. Try again later.
Msg 5069, Level 16, State 1, Line 5
ALTER DATABASE statement failed.

Any ideas what's up?

thanks

David

October 20th, 2011 3:02pm

I was trying to restore but was not letting me, even after killing spids.  This worked for me.  Run it as one transaction.

use Master 

ALTER DATABASE yourdatabasename SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE;

restore database databasename

from ...

Thanks Madhu

December 18th, 2011 2:04am

This is excessive overkill if you have dozens of users or more connected.  I would not recommend this procedure at all.
March 8th, 2012 2:26pm

Open SQL Management Studio and press F8 to open Object Explorer.

There you can find Management Click on Management to view Activity Monitor.

June 23rd, 2012 9:33am

take the database offline and close connections bring in back online and then do the restore
  • Proposed as answer by siauwei Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:13 AM
  • Unproposed as answer by siauwei Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:13 AM
July 27th, 2012 7:57am

Very Tanks for:

December 18th, 2012 9:55am

Thank you :)
May 21st, 2013 4:05pm

Thanks for this!  Setting the database to single user mode did NOT work for us but the drop/reattach worked great!
March 19th, 2014 4:59pm

I wrote VB.net code to unlock the database. I was tired of always doing this manually, so I wrote a command-line tool in VB.Net to kill database locks . Replace 'test' with your database name and replace my connection string with your own. Connection strings are a different topic all together.

Module Module1
    Const SelectId As String = "USE master; " & vbNewLine & "SELECT request_session_id FROM sys.dm_tran_locks WHERE DB_NAME(resource_database_id)='test' AND request_session_id != @@SPID"

Sub Main()
        Dim ConnectionString As String = "Data Source=192.168.4.7,1433;Trusted_Connection=True;"
        Dim Con As New Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection(ConnectionString)
        Dim SqlCmd As New Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand(SelectId, Con)
        Con.Open()
        Dim Reader As Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader = SqlCmd.ExecuteReader
        If Reader.HasRows Then
            Dim Q As New Queue(Of Integer)
            Do While Reader.Read()
                Dim ID As Integer = Reader.GetInt32(0)
                Console.WriteLine("ID " & ID.ToString)
                Q.Enqueue(ID)
            Loop
            Reader.Close()
            Console.Write("Do you want to KILL these proccesses (y/n)? ")
            Dim Response As ConsoleKeyInfo = Console.ReadKey
            Console.WriteLine()
            If Response.Key = ConsoleKey.Y Then
                Do Until Q.Count = 0
                    SqlCmd = New Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand("KILL " & Q.Dequeue, Con)
                    SqlCmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
                Loop
                My.Computer.Audio.PlaySystemSound(Media.SystemSounds.Asterisk)
            End If
            Con.Close()
        Else
            Console.WriteLine("No rows found.")
            Reader.Close()
            Con.Close()
        End If
        Console.WriteLine("Done. Press any key to exit...")
        Console.ReadLine()
    End Sub

End Module

July 21st, 2014 3:01pm

Best answer, thanks
April 23rd, 2015 10:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics