Exchange 2010 - Overrides

Alert: IMAP4 [and] POP3 connectivity transaction failure.

Issue: If you have not deployed those protocols in your organization, there is unnecessary alerting.

Resolution: Override the IMAP4 and POP3 connectivity transaction failure alerts on CAS servers where these services are not running.

I've tried the resolution here (overriding the alert in alert view) http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagermgmtpacks/thread/a62c9078-fc69-4d09-a40f-01f4e8776179

It doesn't work. Anything else I need to be aware of?

I have also tried overriding the rule via thhealth explorer of the server in question- again, no luck.

Should this not just be as simple as going to the alert (or health explorer), choosing override, and selecting ENABLE with the setting set to FALSE?

April 7th, 2011 12:36pm

Hi

Have you downloaded the last MP which was released last night?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2011/04/07/exchange-2010-sp1-management-pack-ships-version-14-02-0071-0.aspx

Cheers

Graham

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2011 12:50pm

Nope. will look into downloading it now...will it overwrite the previous MP if I import it, or do I need to delete the other one first?

Also, do you know if the new MP addresses the POP3/IMPA4 overrides?

April 7th, 2011 1:15pm

You can NEVER override an Exchange 2010 alert from the alert view.... instead - you should always use health explorer against the alert, then mak your overrides against the MONITORS.  Overriding the alert is not supported.  If you disable an alert rule in the exchange 2010 MP - you will cause your database to fill up with SDKevents... because the correlation engine will think it hasnt been processed and create a new one over and over.... due to the fact the rule is disabled.

The Exchange 2010 MP is very funky in how it works, like no other MP.... and special understanding must be taken.

April 7th, 2011 10:41pm

For the "does it have" questions - start with the MP guide.  There are a lot of updates, new features, and fixes in this updated version.
April 8th, 2011 7:04pm

With the E2K10 MP be very careful when doing overrdies.  Most of the alert rules will actually be targeting the management server running the correlation engine and not the real monitors.  Furthermore when makeing changes to thresholds on KHI's you have to ensure you match the values on parent monitors or you can run into some other issues.

Best practice is to do all your overrides in a lab before putting them into production, especially in the case of that Exchange 2010 MP.

April 14th, 2011 8:17am

You can NEVER override an Exchange 2010 alert from the alert view.... instead - you should always use health explorer against the alert, then mak your overrides against the MONITORS.  Overriding the alert is not supported.  If you disable an alert rule in the exchange 2010 MP - you will cause your database to fill up with SDKevents... because the correlation engine will think it hasnt been processed and create a new one over and over.... due to the fact the rule is disabled.

The Exchange 2010 MP is very funky in how it works, like no other MP.... and special understanding must be

April 14th, 2011 7:27pm

Just to get Dan's goat:  New Exchange 2010 MP #Winning!  ;-)
April 14th, 2011 7:37pm

Hi Kevin,

After install Exchange 2010 MP, I get below alert.  I want to override the alert rule with lower severity from Critical(2) to Warning (1).

HTTP Connectivity with Autodiscover - Unexpected Exception 

No matter what I set, the alert keep come up as critical level.

Why?

Many thanks.

-Wilson

April 26th, 2011 3:02pm

Wilson - Did you ever get an answer on this? I'm in the same page as well. When I try to override the severity to 'warning' on the respective monitor the rule still raises 'critical' alert. Even I tried overriding the rule as well, but no luck

-Ramesh

December 24th, 2011 9:24am

No.  I simply disables those rules we don't want.

We had opened case with Microsoft.  Understand that alert is fired up by Exchange co-relation engine and there is no way to alter it.

-Wilson

December 24th, 2011 10:20am

I wonder when Microsoft will update http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee758052(v=exchg.140).aspx and the Exchange MP Guide... both say it's just as easy to override severity and priority as with typical MPs.  Hopefully they'll make that true in a future MP.
March 2nd, 2012 8:36pm

Well, if you run Exchange 2010 SP2 like we do, then get ready for alert storms on II7 AppPool issues.  Apparently it's a bug in Exchange 2010 CU2 (SP2 whatever it is) and they are working on a fix.  However, you will have to probably create a group of IIS 7 Application Pools on Exchange 2010 servers, then override the rule that will flood your inboxes with noise (as well as the console).

Furthermore, an updated Exchange MP is due out, but no idea when.  It will be released for the CU/SP2 and I think they are including a lot of overrides (well they are disabling several rules) that were put in place in a companion MP by some operation teams at MSFT (Cloud group).

Most of these overrides are solid, but they miss one override that will flood your DW with events (look for Script Collect - rules in the authoring part of your ops manager console - make sure you filter on all E2K10 classes and add root management server class as well).  All of these should be disabled, otherwise, your DW fills up with these events.  The companion MP disabled them all, but one, and that one will show up on health check reports until you override disable it.

There is also a noisy monitor that even MSFT has had which should just be disabled.  I think it's the one about Hub Retry Queue.  I will have to pull out my notes, but there is an alert, that isn't very helpful and MSFT has no answer on what to do about it, so in the end, it get's disabled.

March 2nd, 2012 8:50pm

Blake - thank you for this info.  I know we're skipping or at least holding off on Exchange CU2 per some valid reasons for our organization but this is definitely helpful info for when/if we do deploy it and just in general.  Thanks again for the post.
March 2nd, 2012 8:53pm

Refer this link to create overrides to change the alert severity for exchange MPs.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/28ffced4-7dd9-4731-a8e9-ee0fc2130f47/trying-to-drop-an-exchange-2010-critical-alert-down-to-a-warning?forum=operationsmanagermgm

August 3rd, 2015 10:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics