Excel Web App over RDS/XenApp

Within Office 2010 x64 applications in a RDS environment the Excel Help doesn't display the 'Microsoft Excel Web App' content.

To replicate the issue I do the following:

1. Within Excel 2010, press F1

2. Top left, search for 'IF Function'

3. Select 7th search result down - 'IF function  ArticleSyntax: IF(logical_test, [value_if_true], [value_if_false])'

4. Scroll down to Examples

The text displays but where the 'Excel Web App' content is meant to be, its blank.

We browsed to the same site directly into IE (http://office.microsoft.com/en-nz/excel-help/if-function-HP010342586.aspx) and the same result happened, blank content.

This works in our RDS environment using Firefox and Chrome, but not IE8. IE9 appears to work.

It also works on my local PC using IE, Firefox and Chrome using the same user account and through the same proxy server as in the RDS session.

On our proxy server we have allowed all variations of microsoft.com, officeapps.live.com etc etc.

October 17th, 2013 5:39am

Hi,

Please provide some more details for further troubleshooting.

-  What is the complete error message that appears when you try to use Excel web app?
-  Are you using Excel web app as part of SharePoint site?

Meanwhile, you may reset the Internet Explorer settings by running the fixit from this link.

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites and all parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature

Apart from this, as this issue mostly related to Internet Explorer, I recommend you to place your question in our IE Forum for better assistance.

Hope it helps!
Thanks.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 19th, 2013 2:59am

There is no error message, the space where the Excel Web App is supposed to be displayed its a blank white space.

As mentioned in my original post we're accessing the online Office help from within Excel, so nothing to do with SharePoint. We replicate the steps above to see the issue.

October 21st, 2013 4:10am

Hi,

As per the description, this issue occurs on multiple machines, are you logging with the same Live ID on all the machines?

Apart from that, here providing another suggestion to you for installing Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2687455) 64-Bit Edition and then let see the result. Also you can find your solution from here.

Hope it helps!
Thanks.

October 22nd, 2013 6:03am

Please replicate the steps I mentioned in my original post.

We're not logging in with any Live accounts and its only happening in an RDS/XenApp environment.

October 22nd, 2013 6:25am

Hi,

Here you are using which version of XenApp, providing you the hotfix to have a rollup for server 2008 R2. Download and install might this helps to resolve the issue.

XenApp 6:
Hotfix Rollup Pack 2 for Citrix XenApp 6 for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2

XenApp 6.5:
Hotfix Rollup Pack 2 for Citrix XenApp 6.5 for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2

Hope it helps!
Thanks.

October 27th, 2013 2:18am

XenApp Hotfix Rollup 2 is already installed.
October 28th, 2013 12:12am

Hi,

As I have suggested earlier, have you tried to Reset IE on affected system and check the issue?

Also try to reset the Excel 2010 to default setting by deleting the key from registry from below mention path.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel

By removing the following registry keys may reset customized user settings for your Microsoft Office programs. For more information regarding resetting excel refer this thread.

Note: Please backup the registry before deleting anything and also all warnings about the dangers of editing the registry apply and its on your own risk.

Apart from that, there is Hotfix 3 available for Citrix XenApp 6.5 for Server 2008 R2, try to download and install for checking the result.

Thanks.

October 30th, 2013 3:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics