Ex-Domain Administrator - password reset / change privileges
I am an ex domain administrator, but changed jobs several years ago and no longer require the privileges. Our Service desk have the "Reset Password" ability, however, for some unknown reason, they are unable to reset my password. We think this is possibly because as a domain administrator, only another domain administrator can reset your password and this doesn't get revoked when your account is changed. Is this a known "feature"? even though I no longer have any rights other than as an end user?
December 3rd, 2010 3:54am

once you set priviledges you must go back in to revoke certain ones. can your helpdesk add/delete/change users?Mibble
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 3rd, 2010 10:04am

check to be sure the admincount attribute on your account is set to zero. If set to 1 verify you are no longer apart of any protected groups and then have someone change that attribute through adsiedit. That will most likely correct the problem.Chris Morgan
December 3rd, 2010 10:11am

I think you need Windows Password Key Enterprise to reset your Domain Administrator password. Read careful below. http://www.blog.lostwindowspassword.com/how-to-recover-windows-server-200020032008-ad-admin-password/Lost Windows Password Solution
December 5th, 2010 11:08pm

I know a tool to reset Domain administrator password .Reset Windows 7 Password
December 6th, 2010 2:40am

I've got access to the Domain Admins here in my office, it's just that I'm not always in the office. The only rights that the helpdesk have (IIRC) are to reset passwords and change permission groups.
December 6th, 2010 5:10am

Hi, I would like to confirm have the issue be fixed by the above suggestions? If not, do you have another domain administrator account can be used to reset the password for your domain aministrator acount? If not, please also perform the following troubleshooting steps: 1. Reboot the domain control and enter into Directory Services Recovery Mode by pressing F8. After that, please logon the local administrator account. 2. Create a folder on drive C, name it as RecoverPWD and copy CMD.exe, SRVANY.exe and INSTSRV.exe to this folder. Note: you may copy them from Resource Kit. 3. Launch Command Prompt and run the command: C:\RecoverPWD\INSTSRV.exe RecoverPWD "C:\RecoverPWD\SRVANY.exe" to install the service, RecoverPWD. 4. Launch Registry Editor and navigate to the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RecoverPWD Create a subkey called "Parameters" and under this we need to create two values. Name: Application Type: REG_SZ Value: C:\RecoverPWD\CMD.exe Name: AppParameters Type: REG_SZ Value: /k net user NewAdmin P@55Word /domain 5. Close Registry Editor. Launch Services.msc and locate RecoverPWD in the list. Ensure it is set to Automatic. 6. Reboot the DC and let it start normally, once the login screen appears login with username NewAdmin and password P@55Word. Now you have logged on as a domain administrator, and you can reset the original domain administrator password, delete the NewAdmin account and remove the RecoverPWD service by running the following command: net stop RecoverPWD sc delete RecoverPWD For more information about the server security, please refer to the following TechNet blog and article: Why Physical Security is Important http://blogs.technet.com/b/industry_insiders/archive/2005/07/14/407692.aspx 10 Immutable Laws of Security http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/columns/security/essays/10imlaws.mspx Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 7th, 2010 10:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics