Event error 13 vmicvss Windows Server 2012 unable to perform online backup because scoped snapshots enabled
First W2K12 install, so, learning. W2K12 running in guest W2K8R2 Hyper-V. See error below. Been occuring since install, several events recorded within same 15 minute period each day, before and after joined to domain. Bing/Google searches and Event ID turned up no info. Quesrions: Why are online backups not enabled by default? (what if this were an Exchange or AD machine, for example)Where can I read up on scoped snapshots (again, searching yielded no info)In what scenarios should I leave scoped snapshots disabled? In what scenarios should I enable? incidentally, this particular vm will be for SQL 2012 Enterprise. Followed immediately by a SharePoint 2013 vm also running W2K12. Log Name: Application Source: vmicvss Date: 12/10/2012 11:45:02 AM Event ID: 13 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: <Name Removed> Description: Windows cannot perform an online backup of this system because scoped snapshots are enabled. To resolve this, disable scoped snapshots by creating the following registry value on this computer: PATH: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\ DWORD: ScopeSnapshots Value: 0 Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on the computer. Event Xml: <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="vmicvss" /> <EventID Qualifiers="49154">13</EventID> <Level>2</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-12-10T16:45:02.000000000Z" /> <EventRecordID>442</EventRecordID> <Channel>Application</Channel> <Computer><name removed></Computer> <Security /> </System> <EventData> </EventData> </Event> Thanks, Joan
December 11th, 2012 6:26pm

Hi Joan, As you said there is no enough information about this for Windows 2012 yet. I found following article: SRSetRestorePoint function (Windows) http://msdn.microsoft.com/ZH-CN/library/windows/desktop/aa378941(v=vs.85).aspx It mentioned "Developers can write applications that create the DWORD value ScopeSnapshots under the registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore. If this registry key value is 0, System Restore creates snapshots of the boot volume in the same way as in earlier versions of Windows. If this value is deleted, System Restore running on Windows 8 resumes creating snapshots that monitor files in the boot volume that are relevant for system restore only." Thus I assume that when the value enabled, the way system creating snapshots (only relevant for system restore) is not supported when using online backup. Thus it should be disabled to use the common way when we need to run online backup. TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 14th, 2012 6:17pm

Hi Shaon, Thanks. The MSDN article cites an issue related to multi-booting W2K8/W2K12 with previous OS versions. And that the ScopeSnapshots registry key is a way of circumventing the issue. The critical point is that it is an option. I still did not understand why online backups are not enabled by default. So I searched on "Windows 2012 online backup" and found out about the new W2K12 online backup to Azure feature. Do you think the error has to do with Azure online backup? That is, instead of "online backup" meaning backup of transactional applications such as AD and Exchange? Anyway, I am going to install Windows Server Backup and see what happens with registry key 0, then 1, but these servers will not have any application that requires online backup (no AD or Exchange, e.g.) Joan
December 16th, 2012 8:31pm

Hi Joan, Online Backup cannot be performed before register. And it is not a free function so I think this is the reason why it is not enabled by default. Here is an article about online backup: Microsoft Online Backup Service http://blogs.technet.com/b/windowsserver/archive/2012/03/28/microsoft-online-backup-service.aspx In beta phase, it limited number of registers for attending the test. TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
December 17th, 2012 10:24am

Hi Shaon, Thanks. But back to the issue of how the term "online backup" is used in the error. Sorry if I did not make myself clear or do not interpret your resonse correctly, but, Do you think the error is referring to Azure online backup or the pre-cloud usual meaning about backing up, e.g. transactional applications while they are running, such as AD and Exchange. If the term "online backup" in the error means Azure, it makes sense not to have it enabled by default. If the term, however, is being used in the pre-cloud usual sense, then I still do not understand why it would not be enabled by default. After all, MSFT has to assume servers will be used for e.g., AD and Exchange. Joan
December 17th, 2012 6:00pm

We're seeing the same error. 2012 guest on 2k8 R2 Hyper-V, using DPM for backup. Any idea on the best way forward?
February 25th, 2013 2:09pm

Same problem, cant backup any 2012 VHD's hosted on a 2008 R2 using DPM 2012 Sp1 live, only saved state. How could there not be documentation discussing the problem or what needs to be done? I find it hard to believe this is a unique situation.
February 27th, 2013 8:12pm

I have the same problem. Any updates or has anyone here fixed their issue? I am running DPM (2010) that connects to a SQL 2012 VM running on a Windows 2008 R2 physical host.
March 19th, 2013 6:25pm

I have no clue if this is the real fix however here is how we resolved this problem.<o:p></o:p> Our 2012 SP1 DPM installation was running on 2008 R2. We performed an OS upgrade to Windows Server 2012 on the DPM Server. Once the server was upgraded and we began to review the protection groups we noticed nothing was different, same problem. Next, modify the protection groups, Click Clear Cache on the 1st screen and all of a sudden it worked and the affected VHD's were now able to be sync in a live state. The next protection group we were not as luck, cleared cache and same issue so we went through the wizard steps and allowed it to update even though there we no changes to the protection group. At that point a reboot of the DPM server, modify protection group again, clear cache again, and the protection group is now able to backup in live state.<o:p></o:p> These steps worked for us and we are now able to backup all the 2012 servers that are hosted on the 2008 R2 Cluster in a live sync rather that the save state that was occurring. Hope this helps.<o:p></o:p>
March 19th, 2013 6:42pm

I had this on Server 2012 Essentials running as Hyper-V guest under 2008 R2. Also got it on Windows 8 Pro running as a Hyper-V guest on the same machine. Adding the registry key specified in the message stopped the errors. I blogged some details here: http://www.mcbsys.com/techblog/2013/05/scoped-snapshots-vmicvss-error-13-on-server-2012-windows-8/ Mark Berry MCB Systems
May 6th, 2013 11:07pm

We have this situation on our 2008 R2 Hyper-V host with a 2012 vm, and DPM 2012 doing backups. Since adding the ScopeSnapshots registry key on the 2012 server we are able to do snapshot backups in DPM instead of saved state, but now the host 2008 R2 machine gives us NTFS corrupt volume messages each time a backup happens, and lists a volume ID/GUID that does not exist on either system.
May 16th, 2013 7:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics