Event Viewer problem on Server 2003
On three Server 2003 Event Viewer is not opening and showing service unavailable, i have restarted the service on one server and restarted the server but still showing same prob, on other 2 servers i am not able to start eventviewer service. I have restarted all 3 Servers. Can any expert help on this?? Please.
May 29th, 2011 4:11pm

One or more files may be corrupt. Control Panel|Administrative Tools|Services|Event Log Service|General, set the "Startup Type:" to "Disabled" to release the lock on the files, restart the pc, then delete (or move) the corrupt *.evt file(s) from %systemroot%\system32\config then set the Event Log Service "Startup Type:" back to "Automatic", restart for effect. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2011 5:05pm

Dear Dave, Good to see you again, i will check and post here.
May 29th, 2011 5:19pm

Ok, sounds good. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
May 29th, 2011 5:20pm

Dear Dave, All 3 servers are running Server 2008, sorry for my mistake. I tried as u advised but faced the same problem, is there any other way out?? please advise.
May 29th, 2011 6:40pm

Is the Windows Event Log started? If not what errors do you receive when you try to start the Windows Event Log service? Is this 2008 server or 2008 R2 server? Are any service packs applied? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
May 29th, 2011 6:49pm

No, Windows Event Log service is not starting up, shows below error - " Windows could not start the Windows Event Log service on Local Computer. Error 4201: The instance name passed was not recognized as valid by WMI data provider."
May 29th, 2011 7:08pm

From what Iv'e been able to find you may need to perform a repair installation. You may want to start a support incident with Microsoft product support. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
May 29th, 2011 7:25pm

All are server 2008 R2, no packages failed.
May 29th, 2011 7:26pm

You can try installing service pack one but doubtful it will fix this. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
May 29th, 2011 7:28pm

I will check with my project for support incident with Microsoft product support and update u here. Thank you for your advice.
May 29th, 2011 7:29pm

Ok, sounds good. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
May 29th, 2011 7:31pm

Hi Manas, The Error 4201 is generally caused by ineffective permission on the related registry keys and folders. I suggest you grant System a Full Control on the following folder: C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RTBackup After that, reboot the server to check the issue. Besides, the following links can be reference: Fix Event Log Service Error 4201 the Instance Name Passed Was Not Recognized http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-event-log-error-4201-instance-name-not-recognized/ Windows Server 2008 R2 Event Log will not start - Error 4201 http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/95d0a0f6-6162-4e86-afd4-579cae0679ce I wish the suggestion can be helpful. Regards, Cecilia Zhou -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
May 30th, 2011 5:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics