Event ID 8003
Hi, I am getting an error saying that. The Master Browser received a server announcement form the computer XXXXXX That believes that is the Master browser for the Domain. I have followed these steps Go on to the computer identified in step 1, go to the Services Administration panel. You can usually find this by going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. 3. Once you have Services open, look for an entry called “Computer Browser”. If that service is “started, ” you have found your culprit. If not, you may have to try the registry hack listed in step 6. 4. Double click on the “Computer Browser” service to edit it. Stop the service and then change the type to „Disabled” (from either Manual or Automatic). Click OK to apply your changes. 5. That should have resolved the issue. You should check your main servers event logs periodically to be sure that the error does not show up. If the error continues to appear read step 6. 6. Check the following registry value on the computer: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\IsDomainMaster". Ensure that it is set to false. You probably have to reboot the machine to make the change take place. I have solved the problem. But again Today i got another Announcement from another computer With same message? Is their way I can stop those Messages Through Remotely Rather Than going to each system and disabling the services and changing the registry value Thanks Ramesh
September 2nd, 2010 2:17pm

You could build a small powershell script that runs in response to the event or as a scheduled task that verifies the system daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly... -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2010 7:38pm

Hi Rameshraju, Thanks for post here. Computer Browser Service is a name resolution which based on NETBIOS , You may like to deploy WINS service to avoid this issue for your entire network. Meanwhile, if you had deployed Active Directory Services , then DNS is the best way to implement Name resolution. Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001 WINS http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739183(WS.10).aspx Hope that’s helpful Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 3rd, 2010 5:13am

Hi Li, I have already installed DNS on my server? Let me Explain you clearly we have one PDC and one BDC nothing but an replication server on both the severs DNS has been installed. From last couple of days we are getting an master browser error form one of the machine. I went Physically to that system and stop the browser service and i have changed in the registry file on that system i have rebooted the system after that i could not see any error from that system. And again today one more system giving the same error as if it is an master browser? Is their any i can stop those messages remotely by running any script or is their any command to stop the master browser action remotely. Because we are having about 100 systems i am having dificulty to go to each system and doing this? Please Help on This issue Ramesh
September 3rd, 2010 1:15pm

Hi Rameshraju, Thanks for post here. If with setting this registry values could fix this issue, then you may like to use Group Policy or System Policy to distribute registry changes across your network except the domain controllers or the master browser you assigned. Distributing Registry Changes http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727154.aspx Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 6th, 2010 6:27am

The computer browser service is completely different from DNS. It really has nothing to do with DNS. It is a separate system which was used for name resolution and computer browsing in Windows machines before Windows 2000. These systems depended on Netbios for name resolution. From Windows 2000 on, Active Directory depends on DNS. The computer browser service is still included for backward compatibility. Completely disabling the computer browser service will not affect Active Directory. Other services which depend on the computer browser service may fail however. If your clients use Network Neighborhood or My Network Places, these will stop working because they depend on the computer browser service. You may also have applications which depend on the browser service. The message you see is a warning message. It indicates that the computer browser service is not working properly. If any workstation fails to find the browse list when needed, it assumes that browsing has failed and triggers a browser election. It triggers this election by declaring itself the master browser (the message you see). The problem is probably not with the workstation which sends the message. This is a symptom of a browsing problem on your network, not the cause of it. Solving computer browser problems is not easy. See KB188001 and 188305. Bill
September 6th, 2010 10:37am

I am getting the same error but the computer that is causing this is a MAC. How do I perform these steps to stop the MAC from continueing to cause the election of serve as the Master Browser?
August 19th, 2011 12:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics