Event ID 64 - CertificateServicesClient-AutoEnro llment - Cannot renew certificate
Our old enterprise root CA is no longer is service, so our domain controllers cannot renew their expired certificates as a "valid certification (CA) configured to issue certificates based on this template cannot be located..." Since the original Enterprise CA cannot be recovered, can I make one of our new DCs an Enterprise Root CA? I'm thinking that it will then be able to issue new certificates and I can delete these old expired certificates? Thanks!!
August 22nd, 2012 1:24pm

Its best practice not to install any other roles in the domain controller. Moreover after installing ADCS role on your DC the Domain Controller can no longer be renamed or demoted.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 22nd, 2012 2:36pm

Its best practice not to install any other roles in the domain controller. Moreover after installing ADCS role on your DC the Domain Controller can no longer be renamed or demoted.
August 22nd, 2012 2:40pm

Thank you for the suggestion, I will not install ADCS on our DC. Once I do install ADCS on another server, what process should I follow to make sure that our DCs autoenroll with it rather than the old Enterprise CA?
August 23rd, 2012 5:54pm

Is your old CA functional? If the new CA(which you are going to configure) is the only CA in your environment then the domain controller certificate should be auto-enrolled. If its not auto-enrolling please check: 1) If the Domain Controller template is configured for auto-enrollment for domain controller machines. 2) If the CA is configured to Issue the domain controller template. 3) If auto-enrollment feature is configured for computer accounts for your domain. 4) Do a gpupdate /force. You can refer to the below link for cleaning up expired domain controller certificates, but before deleting this make sure its safe to delete this certificate: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783979(v=ws.10).aspx
August 25th, 2012 11:57am

Is your old CA functional? If the new CA(which you are going to configure) is the only CA in your environment then the domain controller certificate should be auto-enrolled. If its not auto-enrolling please check: 1) If the Domain Controller template is configured for auto-enrollment for domain controller machines. 2) If the CA is configured to Issue the domain controller template. 3) If auto-enrollment feature is configured for computer accounts for your domain. 4) Do a gpupdate /force. You can refer to the below link for cleaning up expired domain controller certificates, but before deleting this make sure its safe to delete this certificate: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783979(v=ws.10).aspx
August 25th, 2012 12:00pm

Our old CA is not functional. Thank you for your suggestions, I will build a new CA and clean up the old certifcates once I see that the new CA is auto-enrolling.
August 29th, 2012 12:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics