Event ID 517: Backup has failed with following error code '0x8078014B'

We are running Windows 2012 R2. Whenever we cerate a full backup using Windows backup, it works at firft backup. Then the second backup get this message:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Backup

Date:          7/30/2014 8:01:50 PM

Event ID:      517

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Description:

The backup operation that started at '2014-07-31T01:00:21.001011900Z' has failed with following error code '0x8078014B' (There was a failure in creating a directory on the backup storage location.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing

Date:          7/30/2014 8:00:00 PM

Event ID:      2

Task Category: Session

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Session

User:          DC1\usr_backup

Computer:      DC1

Description:

Session "WBEngine" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035

What could be the pro

July 31st, 2014 2:29am

Hi,

Generally error 517 is caused that there is no enough storage space for saving the backup. Please first check if there is enough free space on target location.

Also please check if shadow storage size is enough:

1.Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then right-click Command Prompt.
2.Click Run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password, type the password. If you are prompted for confirmation, click Continue.
3.At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: 
vssadmin list shadowstorage /for=Volume_Letter:
4.Note the Maximum Shadow Copy Storage Space value. 
5.At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: 
vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=Volume_Letter: /on=Volume_Letter: /maxsize=Storage_Sizemb
Where the placeholder, Storage_Size, is a value that is at least double the value that you noted in step 4.
6.Close the Command Prompt window.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 1st, 2014 6:18am

I fixed it by install a hotfix. This post has more details: Event ID 517: There was a failure in creating a directory     
August 4th, 2014 4:36pm

I fixed it by install a hotfix. This post has more details: Event ID 517: There was a failure in creating a directory   &n
October 1st, 2014 10:04pm

Coud you specify the HotFix ? Thanks.
October 25th, 2014 7:54am

Sorry, it is  hotfix for Windows Server 2012 R2: KB2919355 or check this post:

Windows 2008 backup has failed with Event ID 517 - ChicagoTech.net

I have Hyper-v enabled on windows 2008 R2 that hosts two VMx. When I use
Windows backup to backup the VM, I get this event: Log Name: ...

www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14626&sid...

October 27th, 2014 2:51pm

Hi Guys,

I am facing the same issue, but the error code is error code '0x80780049'

Error message : The backup operation that started at '2015-07-21T05:14:41.588339100Z' has failed with following error code '0x80780049' (None of the items included in backup were backed up.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Any help?

July 24th, 2015 12:56am

Did you manage to solve this, Prabhu?

I suffered the same error message when backing up individual files from a Windows 2012 server to a shared folder on another server, a HP Proliant Microserver Gen8, but it turned out to be a networking issue for me.

I found that the backup would fail if I created another folder on another computer to backup to. But it passed if I backed up to a local hard disk, and this led me to suspect a network issue. I have two NICs in my source server, one for general use\traffic and one configured only for the VMs. When I unplugged the VM NIC (they weren't running anyway) - hey presto, my backups are working!

Hope this might help you or others out there.

Rob

August 22nd, 2015 5:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics