Event ID 28 Source VMSMP

VMSPM error 28
Port 'DAC3B97C-9274-46F6-A097-05200E9B2E3B' was prevented from using MAC
address '00-15-5D-10-FC-03' because it is pinned to port
'1E2A1849-F339-4C93-96D7-BF75E016692D'

I'm having this error in a Windows 2008 R2 hyper v cluster with all mac
adresses of all guest servers. Besides I'm having the same error on both
nodes of the cluster with the physical adapter of the parent partition and
the virtual switch created over that network adapter.

Any help will be apreciated.

Thanks in advance

June 1st, 2010 1:01pm

Hi Eduardo,

Did you configure the MAC Adress Range in the Virtual Network Manager ? 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 1st, 2010 3:24pm

The mac Address Range in the Virtual Network Manager is Dynamic and it's different in both nodes of the cluster. Besides I have tried changing the mac address from one guest server to static but I keep on getting the same error (with the static mac address obviosly)

June 1st, 2010 5:13pm

Hi Eduardo,

I am getting similar warnings Event ID 28 on both of the 2 hyper-v hosts on my cluster. The mac address range in VNM is also dynamics.

Have you found any solution yet?

December 20th, 2010 12:01pm

This normally happens when two VM(having different ports on the Switch) try to get hold of the same MAC Address. If your MAC are being assigned dynamically in the VMs, trying changing the MAC Address (of one of the two) affected VMs, to a static (slightly different) MAC.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverhyperv/thread/0e2a51e7-12ad-4014-805d-28f0e6c0c823
December 20th, 2010 1:10pm

Hi Kumar,

Thanks for your reply. There's only one VM running on each host and I am still getting the warning.

December 21st, 2010 4:14am

Hi i am having the same issue on an hyper-v Cluster does anyone has a solution for this ?

regards,

January 25th, 2011 1:00pm

I just want to share this, since I did not find this answer anywhere else. I too was having this error message on my Hyper-V server.  The odd thing is that everything had been working for almost a year, when all the sudden one afternoon connectivity to the server was sporatic and I was getting this message about once every 2 seconds.  Bottom line is, it ended up to have nothing to do with the server.  I had a network cable that had had the end pulled off of it where it plugged in to the computer in one of our computer labs (I work for a school) but was still plugged in to the switch on the other end.  All the wires  were touching each other causing a network loop.  Once this was fixed, the server quit shooting up errors.
February 8th, 2011 6:54pm

I just ran into this issue.  I tried to set the vms I had to use static macs and this did not work.  I powered off all the vms and unplugged the physical server nics from the network.  I was still receiving errors at this point.  I changed the MAC address of the physical NIC being reported in the error.  The events then changed to report the new mac address.  I deleted the virtual switch.  The errors stopped immediately.  I created a new virtual switch and assigned it back to all the vms.  I have had no issues since.
March 27th, 2012 5:27am

I appear to be having the same problem as well.
June 7th, 2012 10:00am

Just wanted to let you know that I just had the same issue, and it's only been around 15 mins since we seemingly got it resolved, but no messages are seen in the logs yet so that's a good sign. 

What tried ALL sorts of things but what seems to have done the trick in the end was to power off all VM's, set them all to dynamic MAC, then uninstall the physical NIC from Device Manager, scan for hardware changes so it got installed again, delete the virtual network in HyperV manager and then create a new one, and then connect the vm's to the new virtual network. 

June 28th, 2012 1:27pm

Excellent!!

Lumbago's solution worked like a charm.  Been dealing with these events since November.

September 13th, 2012 5:13am

I did this:

1- turn off virtual machine

2- change MAC from dynamic to static.

3- start virtual machine.

4- Again turn off virtual machine

5- change MAC from static to dynamic

6- turn on virtual machine.

Warnings disappeared! [for the moment ;)]

July 8th, 2013 5:24pm

I just solved the same problem today. What is interesting found the solution on the Symantec Website. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH161665

I upgraded the Endpoint Protection like it suggested, then deleted the virtual network and re-created it. Used to get 4 warnings per second logged, now they stopped, everything is working properly.

I suppose other security/antivirus software can cause this too. Look into what you are using and if they have known issues.

August 17th, 2013 12:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics