Event 5774 on simple DC with AD and AD based DNS with internet forwarding to DSL router

Every 4 Hours I get about 10 NETLOGON Errors 5774, for example:

Bei der dynamischen Registrierung des DNS-Eintrags "_ldap._tcp.Standardname-des-ersten-Standorts._sites.dc._msdcs.domain.de. 600 IN SRV 0 100 389 SERVER.domain.local." auf folgendem DNS-Server ist ein Fehler aufgetreten: 

IP-Adresse des DNS-Servers: 217.160.80.136 / Verbindungsantwortcode (RCODE): 0 / Zurckgegebener Statuscode: 1460 

Here domain.de is the old domainname, Domain.local the new one, the change was made about 3 years ago. The Server runs well, there are no known Problems on daily work.

Over a long time I tried many things to solve the Problem, but no success.

- Recreating the DNS Zones

- dcdiag /fix

- Deleting the DNS Cache at Client/Serverside

- gpfixup

- Seaching the AD for old entries with Domain.de -> nothing found

- deleting netlogon.dns/netlogon.dnb and restart NETLOGON, call nltest /dsregdns

The last test recreates the netlogon-files and there I can see some obsolete entries pointing to domain.de,

for example: domain.de 600 IN A 192.168.0.11

but I don't find the right place, where I can fix this.

Has everyone an idea where I can find the source definition of this entries and what I can do to clean this?

• Edited by Freisu Friday, August 28, 2015 4:18 PM
August 28th, 2015 4:13pm

Hi, thanks for your reply.

BS: Windows Server 2008 R2
Only one Root DC, no childs

Network-Settiongs:
IP-DC: 192.169.0.11
IP-DNS (1): 192.168.0.11
IP-DNS (2): 127.0.0.1
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (DSL-Router, Fritz-box)

DNS-Settings:
root hints: 192.168.0.11 (DC)
forwarder: 192.168.0.1 (DSL-Router)
Settings: nothing special

Domain-Names:
Old: xxx.de
New: xxx.local (since 2012)
Hosted Internet site: xxx.de (since 2013, the site is as far as I know not linked to the local Domain, buts the same Name as the old domain-Name.

I think the problem does not base on bad IP/DNS-settings, but on some (hidden) old fragments from the old domain-Name.
The key could be the netlogon.dns file which contains always some of the old entries.

Thanks

• Edited by Freisu Monday, August 31, 2015 7:30 AM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 31st, 2015 7:29am

Hi,

that's all right, but all 5774 event-logs contain fragments of the old domain-Name and by accident the old Domain Name is identical with our extern hostet domain-Name.
So I think I should find the reason why the logon-Service creates some records based on the old domain-Name.

Thanks.

August 31st, 2015 7:41am

Can you share the result of the commands listed by Purvesh Adua to proceed further.
August 31st, 2015 8:16am

Hi,

ist only a root DC, no childs, no escondary DC,... -> no replication
Repadmin Shows nothing special

DCDiag runs fine, all tests passed,
eventlog test not passed because there are 5774 Errors
no dns entries point to the old domainname
-> so no new Information about the reason.

OK first I tried also wireshark to get some further Information. But there I could see the wrong telegrams coresponding to the Errors and to the bad entries in netlogon.dns. But what's the reason for this?

Thanks

August 31st, 2015 9:00am

have you try the hotfix? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/977158

may I know why your forwarders point to DSL Router?

Do you have external DNS hosting outside that similar to your internal domain?

August 31st, 2015 9:42am

Here you find the results, Domain and dc are renamed.

http://1drv.ms/1X4vXVx

August 31st, 2015 10:30am

Hi,

I have check DCDIAG log but this log is not in English language. Also can you provide the IPconfig /all from all the DC's.

August 31st, 2015 1:03pm

Sorry, it's a German Server, only one DC. I've added the ipconfig file to the link above.
August 31st, 2015 1:33pm

hope you have gone through the article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/977158

August 31st, 2015 1:54pm

Yes, I have done it, but I think the described Scenarios do not conform.

• I don't use a third-party server application for DNS Resolution.
  • My return Status code is not 9502 but 1460
  • My Errors are based on wrong entries which I can also see in netlogon.dns, pointing to an obsolete Domain, renamed some years ago
  • The error message contains also the obsolete domainname "domain.de", thats wrong this Name don't have to show up 
    "_ldap._tcp.Standardname-des-ersten-Standorts._sites.dc._msdcs.domain.de. 600 IN SRV 0 100 389 SERVER.domain.local."

Thanks

August 31st, 2015 2:13pm

Hi,

Can you see old DC entry here in DNS console. if yes try and delete those entry from server.

Dnsmgmt.msc [Dns Management]
 A.Expand the forward lookup zones\_msdcs folder
 i. Make sure only the actual domain controllers are listed, delete wrong Alias recordsremove wrong name server records
 ii. Select the container [forward lookup zones\_msdcs.domain.com\dc\_sites_\sitename\_tcp] > delete incorrect _ldap and _kerberos records are listed.
 iii. Select the container [forward lookup zones\_msdcs.domain.com\dc\_tcp] and delete incorrect _ldap and _kerberos records
 iv. Expand the [forward lookup zones\_msdcs.domain.com\domains\guid\_tcp] and delete incorrect _ldap entries
 v. Select [forward lookup zones\_msdcs.domain.com\gc] delete incorrect HostA records
 vi. Expand the [forward lookup zones\_msdcs.domain.com\gc\_sites\sitename\_tcp] delete incorrect _ldap entries
 vii.Select the [forward lookup zones\_msdcs.domain.com\gc\_tcp] delete incorrect _ldap entries
 viii. Select the [forward lookup zones\_msdcs.domain.com\pdc\_tcp] delete incorrect _ldap entries

B.Expand the forward lookup zones\domain.com folder
 i.Delete Host(A) records of dcs which are non-existant.
 ii.Correct the NameServer (NS) records
 iii. Follow steps similar to A ii >> A viii

Dssite.msc [Sites and Services]
 A.Expand the [Sites\Sitename\Servers] delete incorrect servers
 B.Delete incorrect subnet configurations [Sites\Subnets]
 C.Delete incorrect site links [Sites\IP]

Make sure the domain controllers are pointing to the correct dns servers in tcp\ip settings.
  Force replication repadmin /syncall 

August 31st, 2015 4:15pm

Hi,

i have added the file netlogon.dns to the download-link below, here I find 20 entries pointing to the incorrect/obsolete myolddomain.de

http://1drv.ms/1X4vXVx

No I cannot see any bad(old) entry in the Forward or Reverse-Lookupzone, also last week I've deleted both zones and recreated them with the wizzard on the dns console.

Dssite.msc:
Yes a week ago, I found here also an incorrect/obsolete DC, which I deleted. Now I cannot see further incorrect entries.

Domain controler Points to the correct dns Server in tcp/ip settings

I called:
repadmin /syncall
delete the netlogon.* files
nltest /dsregdns
restart dns and netlogon services

-> nothing changed (my new created netlogon.dns file still contains the incorrect records).

I have the suspicion that the configuiration in dns/AD do not reach the netlogon service, so it still creates the obsolete/incorrect records.

Thanks !

September 1st, 2015 8:45am

Do you have backup of your AD & DNS?
September 1st, 2015 8:50am

No Special backup of the ad & dns, bat backups of the full os-volume including AD.

Could it be a good idea to remove the whole dns role and recreate it later?

Thanks

• Edited by Freisu Tuesday, September 01, 2015 10:00 AM
September 1st, 2015 9:59am

can help run nslookup:

set q=srv

_ldap._tcp.Standardname-des-ersten-Standorts._sites.dc._msdcs.domain.de

just to verify whether it is exist or not.

September 1st, 2015 11:09am

Ok, I tried it on the Server (DC), first the incorrect one, domain.de, result translated to english

> _ldap._tcp.Standardname-des-ersten-Standorts._sites.dc._msdcs.domain.de
Server:  myserver.domain.local
Address:  192.168.0.11

*** _ldap._tcp.Standardname-des-ersten-Standorts._sites.dc._msdcs.domain.de was from server.domain.local not found: Non-existent domain.

Then, a second nslookup test on the Server (DC), with the correct one, domain.local

> _ldap._tcp.Standardname-des-ersten-Standorts._sites.dc._msdcs.domain.local
Server:  myserver.domain.local
Address:  192.168.0.11

Name:    _ldap._tcp.Standardname-des-ersten-Standorts._sites.dc._msdcs.domain.local

Seems as domain.local can be resolved and domain.de not, correct?
What's the conclusion?

Thanks!

September 1st, 2015 11:46am

okay...

one last thing to check is the partition CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=domain,dc=local. this is just to make sure the old record is not there i.e DC=domain,dc=de

I have an example in my scenario in https://netoverme.wordpress.com/2014/07/26/event-id-5774-in-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1/ 

September 1st, 2015 12:02pm

Path:
DC=Domain, class=domainDNS, ...DC=local
  CN=System, class=Container,...DC=local
    CN=MicrosoftDNS, class=dnsZone,...dc=local
      DC=RootDNSServers, class=dnsNode,...dc=local.
        DC=@, class=dnsNode,...dc=local

Second NIC on DC is deactivated, I don't see any special configuration on this NIC
  • Edited by Freisu Tuesday, September 01, 2015 12:32 PM
September 1st, 2015 12:22pm

First thing you should not have two NIC on domain controller. It is not good practise as per Microsoft.

Can you post the IPconfig /all from DC.

September 1st, 2015 1:03pm

Ok, the ipconfig /all Output you find here at my link http://1drv.ms/1X4vXVx

It's only one NIC connected to the Network and only one NIC activated.
Is this good practice, or should I do something more?

Regards

September 1st, 2015 1:36pm

Hi,

can you please send the screenshot of DNS configuration at server properties & Zone properties and upload the same.

September 1st, 2015 2:57pm

Hi,
I've done it, you'll find the Settings in the file DC_DNS_settings.pdf at http://1drv.ms/1X4vXVx

But sorry, it's german. So if I should translate something, let me know it.

Regards

September 2nd, 2015 2:06pm

I'm unable to launch the link... It's a long thread, had a quick glance, should be something on DNS side, so suggest to have a thoroughly examine on this.

September 7th, 2015 12:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics