Event 31901 – The registry probe could not connect to the registry of the computer <name>

Hi, I have been doing a weekly SQL query to try and find any high number of events I get in my SCOM environment.

One of the events I have stumbled across is 31901 (The registry probe could not connect to the registry of the computer <name>) which comes from the Collect Registry Probe Module Events

I have read a couple of previous suggestions on the forum and upon checking I found two different scenarios. For a couple of servers I checked the health and it looked like they had RPC issues. A restart got rid of these problems.

However the ones left seem to have something in common. They relate to hosts referring to SQL instances/clusters. So the logging computer is the host and the probe cannot to the registry of the virtual computer. In other words the computers that cant be connected to are all agentless and show as managed by the logging computer under Agentless Managed

If I log onto the host with my SCOM action account and run something like reg query against the virtual instance I get ERROR: The network path was not found. I can ping the instance fine though. I dont really understand how these instances work but I presume they dont have services or a registry as such. Therefore is this normal or is there any way I can get rid of the events? I dont really want to get rid of the rule itself as it did help me find a couple of RPC issues. I could override for that host if this is normal and how it should work.

January 5th, 2015 1:38pm

For issue "31901", you can check below link

http://www.bictt.com/blogs/bictt.php/2011/01/17/error-31901-during-exchange-2003

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 5th, 2015 2:19pm

Hi,

don't think this relates to my issue. From the "host" I can ping the agentless "server" correctly.

If anyone has virtual SQL cluster/instances I wonder if they could confirm they have the same "issue"?

thanks

January 7th, 2015 6:10pm

Hi,

Please check whether the virtual instance is online or not.

What is the result when you try connecting the Network registry using the computer name, it may try to connect to the computer that hold the instance.

Male sure that the host is on the network, and has remote administration enabled, and that both computers are running the remote registry service.

Regards,

Yan Li

January 8th, 2015 11:55am

OK so just to update this a little as the actual layout has been explained to me a little more from an SQL point of view.

I am actually getting the event from the host and SQL "availability group". So the AG shows up as agentless managed by the host server. So I can ping a AG by name from the host but I cannot connect to services or registry as presumably an AG does not have these?

January 9th, 2015 7:50pm

Hi,

I can run below command with proper output:

reg query \\clustername\hklm

I set up SQL cluster, and don't have SQL availability group configured.

Regards,

Yan Li

January 14th, 2015 6:24am

Thanks Yan Li - I am going to setup my own SQL AG in my offline environment to try and understand rather than rely on explanation from my SQL admins. I will then compare results and report back. thanks.

January 14th, 2015 3:12pm

OK so just to update this a little as the actual layout has been explained to me a little more from an SQL point of view.

I am actually getting the event from the host and SQL "availability group". So the AG shows up as agentless managed by the host server. So I can ping a AG by name from the host but I cannot connect to services or registry as presumably an AG does not have these?

I confirm that I got the same issue as you describe.. 95% of those events are related to SQL AG in my environment.
February 3rd, 2015 7:51am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics