Event 3026 - Unable to add EAP method. Friendly name not present
Answering, or partially answering, my own question: Event 3026 appears when HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\EapHost\Parameters\AuthenticatorInstalled=1, which is the default. If it is changed to 0 or deleted, Event 3026 does not occur. To change AuthenticatorInstalled, you need to take ownership of the Parameters key in the path listed above because it is owned by TrustedInstaller by default. By comparision, AuthenticatorInstalled does not exist by default in Windows 7 (at least not in Windows 7 Enterprise). What is the function of AuthenticatorInstalled? If 802.1x authentication is not used, can it be changed to 0 without adverse effect? Thanks.
April 19th, 2011 5:46pm

On Server 2008 R2 new installs, where the Wireless LAN Service has been added, Event 3026 (text below, in bold) occurs on each OS or EAPHost service restart. Skipping: Unable to add EAP method. Friendly name not present. TypeId(254), AuthorId(311), VendorId(14122), VendorType(1) This event seems spurious because another event, Event 3048 (text below, in bold) occurs under the same circumstances and with the exact same timestamp. New EAP method added to EapMethodList: TypeId=254, AuthorId=311, VendorId=14122, VendorType=1. Note that TypeID, AuthorID, VendorID, and VendorType are all the same too. Can anyone confirm that Event 3026 is spurious and can be ignored? Event 3026 is in the EapHost/Operational log; Event 3048 is in the EapHost/Analytic log, which is not visible by default - you need to Show Analytic and Debug logs to see it.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 19th, 2011 10:09pm

Answering, or partially answering, my own question: Event 3026 appears when HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\EapHost\Parameters\AuthenticatorInstalled=1, which is the default. If it is changed to 0 or deleted, Event 3026 does not occur. To change AuthenticatorInstalled, you need to take ownership of the Parameters key in the path listed above because it is owned by TrustedInstaller by default. By comparision, AuthenticatorInstalled does not exist by default in Windows 7 (at least not in Windows 7 Enterprise). What is the function of AuthenticatorInstalled? If 802.1x authentication is not used, can it be changed to 0 without adverse effect? Thanks.
April 20th, 2011 12:46am

I am checking what this is about....will revert shortly.Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
April 22nd, 2011 11:06am

I am checking what this is about....will revert shortly.Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
April 22nd, 2011 6:06pm

Thank you.
April 22nd, 2011 7:12pm

Thank you.
April 23rd, 2011 2:12am

The event can be ignored. The AuthenticatorInstalled registry indicates that NPS role is installed on the server.Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
April 28th, 2011 7:00am

Sumesh P - Thanks for your reply. I was going to mark it as answer, but it raises another question: if AuthenticatorInstalled=1 indicates that the NPS role is installed on the server, why would it be 1 when the NPS role is not installed? This may be something that needs to be fixed in a future release. Thanks.
April 28th, 2011 8:21am

Thanks. I marked your reply "The event can be ignored" as answer.
April 28th, 2011 12:35pm

Sumesh P - Thanks for your reply. I was going to mark it as answer, but it raises another question: if AuthenticatorInstalled=1 indicates that the NPS role is installed on the server, why would it be 1 when the NPS role is not installed? This may be something that needs to be fixed in a future release. Thanks.
April 28th, 2011 3:21pm

Its default on the server the value is set to 1 whether you have NPS installed or not.Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
April 28th, 2011 6:43pm

Thanks. I marked your reply "The event can be ignored" as answer.
April 28th, 2011 7:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics