Event 29 and 24 that cannot receive the time source in windows server 2003

I have one server windows server 2003 R2 pop up the event log as below

Event 29

The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible.  No attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

Event 24

Time Provider NtpClient: No valid response has been received from domain controller server01.xxxxx.com after 8 attempts to contact it. This domain controller will be discarded as a time source and NtpClient will attempt to discover a  new domain controller from which to synchronize.

My domain controller server01 do not have any pop up event log for the time service.

I have found some information in Mircosoft TechNet would suggest such as restart  the time service with command prompt. I have tried for it. But the event id keep on to pop up for each hour.

Should I configure for the time service can read for the hardware?

Moreover, if I still read the time from DC, any configuration can be done for my server and domain controller? Thanks! 

January 15th, 2014 6:31am

HI All,

I also find other workstations have event 24 error log received. Maybe I have windows updates before this error log appeared. Would  be DC have any NTPClient configuration for time service?

My DC would be windows server 2008 service pack 2, thanks!

Best Regards,

Sam HK

• Edited by Sam HK Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:40 AM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 15th, 2014 9:07am

Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Would you please tell us that if the DC holds a role of PDC emulator? If yes, you can run DCdiag on the DC to check if it is advertising itself as a Time server. In addition, please make sure that no firewall is blocking UDP port 123 and you can also ping the DC on the client computer to verify that the client computer is capable of contacting the desired source.

In addition, please make sure that the value of the AnnounceFlags in the registry below is 10: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config

Please also make sure the value of Type in the registry below is set to NT5DS:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters

More information:

Windows Time Service Tools and Settings

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773263(v=ws.10).aspx#w2k3tr_times_tools_suxb

Best regards,

Susie

January 16th, 2014 5:27am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked for my DC system time and use command prompt net time to check the DC in workstation. DC time is correct and workstation should be collect the correct from DC. I think DC side should be in fine condition. I cannot find any event log of the time service in DC. DC hold a role of PDC emulator. I find the event logs before that other servers have well synchronized with DC. Workstation ping to DC have well connection. Would you mind let me configuration in member server or workstation?

I have tried command prompt such as

net time /setsntp: " 

w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update

net stop w32time && net start w32time

and

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:NTP_server_IP_Address, 0x8 syncfromflags:MANUAL
net stop w32time
net start w32time
w32tm /resync

But the event log 24 and 29 still continue to appear in each hour.

Thanks a lot and Best Regards,

Sam HK

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 16th, 2014 11:15am

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

Please also make sure that no 3rd-party time service was blocking the Windows Time Service from working.Besides, it seems that those error occured when the clients are VMs in Hyper-V.

In addition, you can also turn on debug logging in the Windows Time Service to obtain more detailed information related to the errors.

Best regards,

Susie

January 22nd, 2014 4:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics