Event 11708 - MOM 2005 Workgroup install silently failing (2003 SP2)
Hi, I am trying to install MOM 2005 Workgroup Edition on a server unning Server 2003 SP2. I go through the install wizard and check the install requirements. When I get to the screen from which I choose the SQL server (which is the local machine) I click next and nothing happens. It logs the 11708 event, saying MsInstaller - MOM installation failed. I can click the Back button and go through the wizard again and click the Cancel button to exit the install. But the Next button does nothing. I have googled this event and it seems to be a generic MsInstaller error, rather than dependant on the failing install as other apps have reported this event along with their product-specific errors. All the SQL services are running, The server is fully configured with a load of other apps so I know other programs have installed. I've tried the intall with a local administrator account and a domain admin account. The only thing I wasn't sureabout is that the only server in the list of SQL servers is the local machine. (which is running SQL, 2005 I think)We have other SQL servers on the network but none of them are in the list. I had to enable and start the SQL Server Browser service but it made no difference. What should I try next? Thanks Tom
November 21st, 2007 2:10pm

It turns out thisis a known problem KB925480 But the resolution didn't work for me. You have to run the MSIEXEC.EXE in unattended mode, but that means you can't change things like the installation path. When I run the commandin the solution, nothing happens and the same event is logged. I have checked the install log and it just stops, there don't appear to be any errors or failures before it quits. Our test server had Win2003, SQL 2005 and was fine. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you Tom
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 23rd, 2007 6:25pm

This forum is for Windows Server 2008. Please post your question in the correct forum or newsgroup. In your case you'll find the Windows 2003 newsgroup here: http://technet.microsoft.com/windowsserver/bb841405.aspxand the MOM newsgroup here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/server/mom.mspx
November 27th, 2007 10:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics