Evaluate Office 2013 on RDS-Server 2012

Hello everyone,

I'm evaluating Windows Server 2012 as a RDS-server. Now I was trying to install a evaluation copy of Office 2013 Professional Plus. As many of you already know it's not possible. :) How do I know if it performs well in RDS? Is there a way to test Office 2013 on RDS? Didn't find any information related to this topic...

Thanks in advance

imi

November 27th, 2013 7:02pm

Hi Imi,

Maybe you can go through for below article which can be useful for installing and deployment of Office 2013 Professional Plus on RDS Server.

1.  How to install and activate Office Professional Plus 2013 on a terminal server
2.  How to install the MSDN/TechNet copy of Microsoft Office 2013 on a Windows Server running Remote Desktop
3.  Deployment methods for Office 2013

Hope it helps for understanding!
Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 28th, 2013 11:02am

Hi Darmesh S,

thank you for answering my questions!

I already read the blog entry from the second of your links before. I downloaded a copy of Office Professional Plus 2013 (32 bit because 64bit wasn't available due an error on the site) from TechNet and tried to install it on the RDS-Server with the provided productkey. But it doesn't work, the key will not be accepted.

According to the article, there is no need for a special key:

"For Microsoft Office 2010, the MSDN/TechNet site provided a special key called the "Terminal Service enablement for Office 2010", to install Microsoft Office 2010 on a Windows Server running Terminal Service:

Micorosoft Office 2013 does not require a special key for this enablement, but rather uses the same key as the one used for a standalone installation."

What am I doing wrong? Is it because of a wrong version?

Greetings Imi

November 28th, 2013 1:25pm

Hi Imi,

Firstly, I can say that might you can try to download the proper version of the MS Office 2013 from this link.  On RDS server, have you installed RD licensing role and purchase proper CAL to access the Office application?

For that I can say something, it is important to keep in mind that desktop applications such as the Office Suite are licensed per device, not per user. The following comes directly from the Microsoft Product Use Rights document dated January, 2010: You must acquire a license for each device on or from which you access or use the software (locally or remotely over a network)You may access copies of the software installed on a network device only from a device that has a license for the software.

In other words, if you can walk up to a device and use it to interact with an Office application, you must have an Office license for that device. It doesnt matter whether that device is a PC or laptop that has the Office bits installed on its local hard drive, or whether it is a thin client device that allows you to connect to a XenApp server; you need to have assigned a license to that device. (Quoted from the article). Please refer below article for deep understanding.
Licensing Office in a Remote Desktop Environment

Hope it helps!
Thanks.
  • Marked as answer by Imi32 Tuesday, December 03, 2013 1:20 PM
December 1st, 2013 11:41am

yup the problem is you probably didn't run correct version

but also don't forget on RDS you don't just run the setup you need to install in RD-install mode.

from the control panel click on programs and you'll see it 

• Marked as answer by Imi32 Tuesday, December 03, 2013 1:20 PM
December 1st, 2013 7:42pm

Hi,

I just tried to follow the steps from the link #2 and I am getting the same results. There is a message about Terminal Services license requirements, then I enter my product key from eval center and then I get the same Terminal Services license requirement message and information that my product key is invalid. I am testing it on an evaluation version of Windows Server 2012 R2 with RDS Server role.

Any hints what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Piotr

January 30th, 2014 3:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics