Eval 2008 server STD, Can't see gateway!
Box was loaded with 2003, using the fallowing Ip info local 172.17.250.253 Subnet 255.255.0.0 GateW 172.17.0.1 DNS1 67.17.215.32 DNS2 192.168.20.6 Address Work fine, other box on subnet XP Pro, reset it IP to above, the address works. Reloaded with 2008 server (burned partition) now can't ping Gateway, can ping XP box, and can be pinged, trace route to XP box is one step, can move files back and forth. On DHCP it works fine, the only number that changes when moving it to Det Ip Address is the local number (yes filled in all the data, not just local ip), Help? Server, Xeon 3070, 4gig, 80g HD, two Marvel Nic's 1000, just a plain-Jane test bed. Help Hami
December 28th, 2010 11:12pm

ME again All current patches, and SP2. Hami
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 28th, 2010 11:15pm

Me again Loaded second Server, same problem, hardware completely different ( Less Key/mouse/monitor/Cables). Server, Xeon 3220, 4 gig, Raid 1 - 2 1T HD (giga chip) Mirrored, Raid 2 - 6 1T (intel Chip) raid 5, Two Realtec Nics. Os set up the same way, base load of 2008 Std, full patches, and SP2 Help Hami P.S. people are reading this thread, nobody has any ideas?
December 29th, 2010 11:28am

Based on th IP and subnet mask, your computer should be able to ping its gateway. Did you verify that the gateway's MAC is listed in the computer's ARP cache (arp -a)? If the IP config is correct and your arp table is good, there is no reason (from a layer 2 perspective) that you would not be able to communicate with the gateway interface. Since the gateway interface is on the same subnet as your other computers, it should behave identically as other interfaces on the same subnet. If you are trying to ping a remote interface on the router, thats a different situation. The OS, and service pack, and hardware should not be a factor. At most, I would recommend that you make sure the driver you have installed is the correct one for the OS and is the latest one provided by the vendor. You have to be patient with getting responses. Sometimes, you'll get someone to help you within a few minutes and other times it could take days...it depends on what you have posted and who is online. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
December 29th, 2010 12:21pm

Yup it is the Servers Arp table, and it is in the XP arp table and they are both the same (both on the same subnet).just trying to ping the gateway (ping 172.17.0.1), get to the internet. I listed the hard ware, OS, patches, just so I did not get any question about them. I'm a bit of a type A, so patient is not one of my strong points, I have read everything in the office down to the coffee label to figure this out, and have found little on a fix. DHCP works, but I change it to static (only change is local IP, entered all numbers), and it can't reach it. Set up the XP with all the same numbers and there is no problem, it had 2003 on it and it worked. It looks like a 2008 issue. I'm using the default 2008 drives, I will go and track down the vendor drives and get back to here. Thank again Hami
December 29th, 2010 1:18pm

Just for the hek of it, try to configure the static IP using netsh rather than the GUI to see if it makes a difference. Configure TCP/IP Settings from the Command Prompt or via Script http://www.anitkb.com/2010/10/configure-tcpip-settings-from-command.html Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
December 29th, 2010 1:31pm

You would think that but my preference is always to use the Vendor's drivers. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
December 29th, 2010 1:55pm

Ok a twist, I loaded the new drivers, and I was able to ping the gateway once, then no more. I'm going to check the other server and see if it responds the same. Hami
December 29th, 2010 1:56pm

OK, let me explain a bit, the smaller server is the router, I updated it with the new Marvell drivers and it works, this is the only one that needs to be static. But still it will eat away at me, keep me awake, till it is solved. but for right now I need to move forward with the setup. Thank again Hami
December 29th, 2010 2:21pm

I have seen weird issues over the years with various brands of NIC cards. If this is for a production network, you should look into using the best gear possible to mitigate as many issues as possible. While all of these vendors follow standards and RFCs, not all equipment is alike. Some behave more flaky than others. Also, I would generally recommend that you stick to network gear for your equipment that handles your layer 3 portion of the network. Using a Windows server is more expensive due to the licensing, more vulnerable, and generally less reliable, not because Windows is not a good operating system, but because you wouldnt use a hammer to turn a screw. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
December 29th, 2010 3:52pm

Yeh, but why do I get all the weird issues, the little box is a Asus server, not a big name brand, but still. The other is custom hack (good parts). I agree network gear for networks. But I have 29 hammers here with a year on 2008 Evals, and all my screw are 4#, so in this case it kinda fits. and this will be constantly in flux. We will see. Thanks Hami
December 29th, 2010 5:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics