Errors while using P2V wizard in SC12VMM on XP SP3

I'm trying to use the P2V wizard in SC12VMM to virtualise an old XP box.  

The wizard keeps failing, with a range of errors.

Attempt 1 

Error (3154)
An internal error has occurred trying to contact an agent on the trcmay092 server.
The remote procedure call failed (0x800706BE)

Recommended Action
Ensure the agent is installed and running. Ensure the WMI service is installed and running, then restart the agent.

Information (20524)
Virtual Machine Manager has added the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate with thumbprint  obtained from the computer trcmay092 to the Trusted People store of the VMM management server.

At the same time, on the XP machine (a user account was logged in at the time), an error was displayed

VMM P2V Agent has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.  Send Error Report?

More Details - EventType: BEX  P1:  vmmP2VAgent.exe  P2 3.1.6011.0  P3: 50aabaef  P4: vmmP2VAgent.exe  P5: 3.1.6011.0 P6: 50aabaef  P7: 0014765e P8: c0000409  P9: 00000000

I clicked 'send error report', and waited.  Nothing happened in the VMM P2V wizard.  Further wait.  Eventually I shut down the XP machine and finally VMM P2V wizard said 

An internal error has occurred trying to contact an agent on the trcmay092 server.

Ensure the agent is installed and running. Ensure the WMI service is installed and running, then restart the agent.

ID: 3154
Details: The remote procedure call failed (0x800706BE)

Attempt 2

Broadly similar - this time logging on to the XP machine took an extraordinarily long time, this time the error was

Error (410)
Agent installation failed on trcmay092.
Call was canceled by the message filter

Recommended Action
Try the operation again. If the problem persists, install the agent locally and then add the managed computer.

This time - SC12VMM itself crashed somehow

Error (1700)
The Virtual Machine Manager service on the XXXXXXXX  server stopped while this job was running. This may have been caused by a system restart.

Recommended Action
To restart this job, navigate to the Jobs view and select the job in the results pane. Then, in the Actions pane, click Restart.

Attempt 3

Error (408)
trcmay092 has an unsupported version of the Virtual Machine Manager agent installed.

Recommended Action
Uninstall the Virtual Machine Manager agent using Add or Remove Programs on trcmay092, and then try the operation again.

I uninstalled the P2VAgent from the XP control panel and tried again... leading to

Error (3154)
The remote procedure call failed (0x800706BE)

Recommended Action

Information (20524)
Virtual Machine Manager has added the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate with thumbprint  obtained from the computer trcmay092 to the Trusted People store of the VMM management server.

How can I go about troubleshooting this, please?

September 18th, 2013 8:47pm

I am experiencing the exact same issue, and was wondering if you were able to resolve.

Thanks,

Mike

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 22nd, 2013 7:42pm

Hi there,

Im having the same problem. Was wondering if you were able to resolve it.

Thanks

January 6th, 2014 6:27am

Yes, it's solved.  Sorry for the long delay in reply (Mike) - I'm not getting email notification of replies from the forum, even though I've set them.

As a solution, use disk2vhd instead of the SC12VMM P2V wizard, which will seemingly always fail in this situation in my hands.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

• Marked as answer by Eoin Ryan Wednesday, January 08, 2014 1:39 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 8th, 2014 4:39pm

Yes, it's solved.  Sorry for the long delay in reply (Mike) - I'm not getting email notification of replies from the forum, even though I've set them.

As a solution, use disk2vhd instead of the SC12VMM P2V wizard, which will seemingly always fail in this situation in my hands.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

• Marked as answer by Eoin Ryan Wednesday, January 08, 2014 1:39 PM
January 8th, 2014 4:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics