Errors in Hyper-V Machine Manager

I have a newly installed 2012R2 server. I am running four (4) virtual machines under Hyper-V. Every time I go to do something with setting on one of the machines, or create a new machines I get errors saying that I was unable to complete the job - no reason give, just fails.

I have found that if I go into services and restart the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service, everything works for a period. I have noticed that the VSSWriter for Hyper-V goes off line with a failed (8) on the vssadmin list output. At this point my backups also start to fail and I get 'Catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF)' errors in the event log for all four (4) VMs.

I have checked the versions of integration services using the powershell script from the virtual_pc_guy archives (sorry, the system would not let me embed the link here) and all show as up to date.

I have also checked and all VMs have at least 90GB of free disk space.

This is frustrating me no end and is delaying the upgrades to our other two (2) servers currently running Hyper-V under 2008R2.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Edited by rossbofh Monday, August 24, 2015 4:46 AM
August 24th, 2015 4:29am

Hello,

the information you posted is not enough to analyze the problem.

Please check if you got any GPOs applied to the Hyper-V Host, overwriting user/group permissions. Sometimes GPOs overwrite the defaults set by the Host and this creates issues in the Hyper-V Management.

Best Regards,
Jens

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 24th, 2015 5:07pm

The only GPO applied to these units is the default domain GPO. The only setting in this GPO is password length and complexity.

The 2008R2 servers are in the same OU with the same GPO settings and not having the issues. It is restricted to the 2012R2 server. The VMs on the server are all Windows with a mix of 2008R2 and 2012R2 guest OS loaded.

All patches up to 2 months ago are installed - my next patch update window is the 4th September.

The service is logging on using the Local System Account - as installed. The service shows as still running and other than the errors listed above I have not been able to find any listed error for the service failing.

August 24th, 2015 10:58pm

Hi Rossbofh,

When the error "unable to complete the job" appeared, we could check the related events to analyze the problem. We could find the reason why the operation failed.

It is under: Application and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows.

Best Regards,

Leo

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2015 9:25am

Leo,

Thanks for your updated.

I ran patch updates on Friday night. As of this morning (monday) the HyperV vsswriter is still running and I am able to do management tasks in HyperV Manager without having to restart the service. I have enabled the backup tonight to see if it will run correctly as well - will update the thread tomorrow with the results.

There were 110 patches downloaded and installed - the server was only built and fully patched in July! I would love to be able to point to specific patch and say 'that fixed it' - not going to happen.

Hopefully the vss writer will still be running tomorrow.

September 6th, 2015 11:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics