Errors after moving databases in SCOM 2012

I have recently moved both the Operational DB and the DataWarehouse DB from the original server to a SQL cluster. Following the guides below worked and SCOM is up and running, at least some sort of success. The problem is that it seems SCOM is trying to contact the Operational DB on the original server even after the move.

The only events showing up in the log after the moving is 29112 and 21023

OpsMgr Management Configuration Service failed to execute bootstrap work item 'ConfigurationStoreInitializeWorkItem' due to the following exception

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open database "OperationsManager" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\Action Account'.
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.ConnectionManagementOperation.Execute()
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.DataAccessLayer.DataAccessOperation.ExecuteSynchronously(Int32 timeoutSeconds, WaitHandle stopWaitHandle)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.SqlConfigurationStore.ConfigurationStore.ExecuteOperationSynchronously(IDataAccessConnectedOperation operation, String operationName)
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.SqlConfigurationStore.ConfigurationStore.Initialize()
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Engine.ConfigurationStoreInitializeWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementConfiguration.Interop.ConfigServiceEngineWorkItem.Execute()

OpsMgr has no configuration for management group SCOMVIRIDIS and is requesting new configuration from the Configuration Service.

Anyone who has seen this issue before? The guides were easy to follow and i can see som 31554 and similar events after restarting the Services but soon it goes back to just logging 29112 and 21023 in the event log.

The links that i followed is listed below;

Operational Database: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh278848.aspx

DataWarehouse Database: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh268492.aspx

Im greatful for any help!
Thanks,

Daniel

November 7th, 2012 7:25am

Hi Daniel,

Please see here:

Event ID 21023 - Management server not downloading configuration files

http://blogs.technet.com/b/thomase/archive/2010/10/29/event-id-21023-management-server-not-downloading-configuration-files.aspx

Event ID 29112 generated after upgrading to System Center 2012 Operations Manager

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2700028

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 7th, 2012 7:32am

I have tried both of the above and my problem remains. 

/Daniel

November 7th, 2012 7:40am

Hi,

Please check the SQL permissions for user 'DOMAIN\Action Account' - are you sure the user has correct permissions?

November 7th, 2012 7:51am

The user has the DB_Owner and Public permissions on the Operation Database, i have checked this about a hundred times now :)
November 7th, 2012 7:53am

Hi Daniel

"you say it is still trying to contact the old SQL Server "The problem is that it seems SCOM is trying to contact the Operational DB on the original server even after the move"

Therefore, at least one of the settings on the management servers hasn't been updated to the new SQL Server (or there is a typo somewhere).

As you are moving to a clustered SQL server, make sure you are using the virtual server name and not a node name.

For db - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh278848.aspx - steps 6 to 9

For dw - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh268492.aspx - steps 6 to 11

Cheers

Graham

November 7th, 2012 8:18am

Hi,

The cluster isnamed MAOMSQLCLUSTER and the SQL DB Engine is called MAOMSQL, and MAOMSQL is what i have written in the register of the MS too.

Im trying to recreate the login for the action account but it keeps complaining about there is already an account with that name and i cant add the account with the privileges presented in your past link Graham.

/Daniel

November 7th, 2012 8:22am

Hi

Can you confirm though that the error you are getting is that the Management Server is trying to contact the old (decommissioned) SQL Server. If that is the case then it isn't a permissions issue and it means one of the settings on the management server hasn't been updated to reflect the new SQL Server.

If the old SQL Server is still available, can you check the SQL Server error log to see if it is logging the failed login.

Also, was this a clean install of SCOM 2012 or an upgrade?

Cheers

Graham

November 7th, 2012 8:32am

Yes, the error is also logged in the Application log.

It is a clean 2012 install, i have just moved tha DB's.

/Daniel

November 7th, 2012 8:35am

If it is being logged on the old SQL Server then it means one of the settings on the Management Server hasn't been updated to the new SQL Server.

I notice that you have restarted the SDK service - have you also restarted the other services (or can you reboot the Management Server)? Just trying to force the server to do a complete reload of configuration.

Do you see any errors in the SQL Server error log on the new SQL Server?

Cheers

Graham

November 7th, 2012 8:42am

Tried this one as well right now, no difference.
November 7th, 2012 8:42am

Do you see any errors in the SQL Server error log on the new SQL Server?

Can you confirm that you can't open the SCOM console?

November 7th, 2012 8:45am

The Application Log on the new SQL server looks great, just informational events regarding succeeded logins.

The MS is restarted, and yes i can open the SCOM Console. Pretty odd since the server keeps complaining about not being able to access the Operational DB.

November 7th, 2012 8:50am

Another thought - on the Management Server, go into the registry and HKEY_Local_Machine\SOftware and do a search for the old server name to see if it still exists somewhere else.
November 7th, 2012 8:50am

We've fallen a little out of sync on the Q & A but with regards to the console:

- is it updating properly? New alerts? Windows COmputers healthy?

If so, it suggests it might just be one component that is still trying to write to the old SQL Server. Perhaps double check the updates against SQL in steps 8 and 9 - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh278848.aspx

Have you tried flushing the health service state folder on the Management Server?

- stop the system center management service on the management server

- rename the health service state folder (don't delete it in case you need to rename it back)

- start the system center management service on the management server

November 7th, 2012 8:56am

The only line i could find containing MAOM01 (the MS) is under MachineSettings\DefaultSDKServiceMachine

Im a bit confused about another value, under Reporting, the DefaultSDKServiceMachine is set to MAOMSQL (the SQL virtual node). Is this really correct?

November 7th, 2012 8:58am

See below for my answers;

We've fallen a little out of sync on the Q & A but with regards to the console:

- is it updating properly?

No

New alerts?

No

Windows COmputers healthy?

Yes

If so, it suggests it might just be one component that is still trying to write to the old SQL Server. Perhaps double check the updates against SQL in steps 8 and 9 - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh278848.aspx

Also checked

Have you tried flushing the health service state folder on the Management Server?

- stop the system center management service on the management server

- rename the health service state folder (don't delete it in case you need to rename it back)

- start the system center management service on the management server

A new folder is created and all of the subfolders but no MP's are received

November 7th, 2012 9:07am

That is correct for reporting - step 6c of the DW move. It seems like the SDK service is fine - you can connect to the database through the console. It is the configuration that isn't updating. Can you double check the following:

On each management server, edit the following file:

%ProgramFiles%\System Center 2012\Operations Manager\Server\ConfigService.config

In the <Category> tag named Cmdb, change the value for ServerName to the name of the new SQL server.

Might be worth changing the folder options to view file extensions just in case windows decided to add a .txt extension when you updated this file.

November 7th, 2012 9:31am

Tried this too with the same result; OpsMgr has no configuration for management group ManagementGroup and is requesting new configuration from the Configuration Service. There were no unwanted file extensions either.

/Daniel

November 7th, 2012 9:40am

Can you check the registry setting (on the MS):

HKEY_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft Operations Manager\3.0\Setup - there are DatabaseServerName and DataWarehouseDBServerName registry keys. Just wonder if they are still pointing at the old SQL Server.

November 7th, 2012 10:05am

Those two keys were faulty and are now changed to point to the new SQL server. Unfortunately, still the same issue.

I tried changing the System Center Management Configuration to start as local system instead of the Action account but it didnt help either.

November 7th, 2012 10:23am

I don't think changing accounts will help as the error, as I understand it, is that the Management Server is still trying to contact the old SQL Server for at least some functionality. So it is something within the Management Server settings (registry \ files) or the SQL tables that has not updated succesfully. 

I'm out of options on this. As you have lost SCOM functionality you might want to open a PSS call to get it sorted quickly.

November 7th, 2012 10:27am

Problem solved.

I have been in contact with MS Support who solved the issue. What was wrong?

It seems the documentation misses an important piece. In http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh278848.aspx under 7. there is one more value that should be edited. Under the category named "ConfigStore", make sure the "ServerName" is pointing at the new SQL Server, otherwise the MS wont be able to receive configuration from the Operational DB.

I think the documentation will be updated with this information but I want to share this if anyone else faces the same issue.

/Daniel

November 9th, 2012 10:10am

Problem solved.

I have been in contact with MS Support who solved the issue. What was wrong?

It seems the documentation misses an important piece. In http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh278848.aspx under 7. there is one more value that should be edited. Under the category named "ConfigStore", make sure the "ServerName" is pointing at the new SQL Server, otherwise the MS wont be able to receive configuration from the Operational DB.

I think the documentation will be updated with this information but I want to share this if anyone else faces the same issue.

/Daniel

December 24th, 2012 9:06pm

Thanks for posting the fix Daniel... I just tried a DB move as per the MS doco and obviously can across the same issue.

Shame the doco still hasn't been updated after almost 1 year!!!

October 20th, 2013 1:21am

Hi, All!

I would like to add information, we have same problem, after moving the OM DB, SCOM 2012 R2 UR1 is not starting, error:

A Bind Data Source in Management Group scom has posted items to the workflow, but has not received a response in XXXX seconds.  This indicates a performance or functional problem with the workflow.

Workflow Id : Microsoft.SystemCenter.CollectEventData

We have found that inside the SCOM Server registry there is another key pointing to the old DB server:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\System Center\2010\Common\Database]
"DatabaseName"="SystemCenter"
"DatabaseServerName"="OldServerName"

And

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\System Center\SetupBackup\Blue\Database]

After changing all working fine

Also, do not forget to update the master DB on the new DB server

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mgoedtel/archive/2013/01/27/updated-steps-for-moving-operations-manager-2012-databases.aspx

March 14th, 2014 9:21am

Just want to add this here as I just ran into this issue as well:
When you have upgraded to R2 you will have the ConfigService.config file twice, by default in:
C:\Program Files\System Center 2012\Operations Manager\Server

That's where the KB article for moving the DB lead you to as well. However, with the R2 Upgrade it is then located in:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager\Server

Since the old one isn't removed it's easy to run into this trap.

April 28th, 2015 9:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics