Error while changing Field Size

Hi,

I am loading from SQL Server 2008 to Access 2010 using SSIS. One of the columns in the table I am loading into is a Number datatype and Fieldsize is long integer. The values are being truncated, so I want to change the Fieldsize to DOUBLE.  However, when I do that I receive the error below. What should I do? I would like not to change my Windows registry.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

This error can be caused by one of the following:

The maximum number of columns allowed in a table or the maximum number of locks for a single file is exceeded.
The indexed property of a field is changed from Yes (Duplicates OK) to Yes (No Duplicates) when duplicate data exists in the table.
An expression is not specified in the Expression property of a calculated field. 
If the maximum number of locks per file was exceeded, you can increase the number by editing a registry entry. However, this is not a recommended option.

If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you could cause serious problems that require you to reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Make a backup of the registry. Find the MaxLocksPerFile registry value by using the Windows Registry Editor, and then increase the value. The MaxLocksPerFile value is saved as part of the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access Connectivity Engine\Engines\ACE

If the Indexed property of a field and duplicate data is located in the table, reset the Indexed property to the previous setting, or remove duplicate records from the table.

----------------------------------------------

While I was loading to the same table a few days ago, I received a warning and the task took approx 9 hours. I am attaching the screen shot.

September 10th, 2015 11:36am

Hi. Not sure if that's really the answer to your problem, but you can set that value from within Access. Try executing the following line in the Immediate Window:

DBEngine.SetOption dbMaxLocksPerFile, 50000

Or whatever huge number you would like to use. Hope that helps...

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2015 11:54am

where do I enter the line? First line in the SSIS source query?

September 10th, 2015 1:26pm

No, it would be something you would do within Access. When you said you tried to change the field type, where were you doing that? In SQL Server?

PS. As I mentioned above, I wasn't sure if what you found during your search is really the answer to your original problem, but I was just offering a way to do it without hacking the registry because you said you were not comfortable modifying the registry yourself. I figure, if you tried running the code to modify the registry and it worked, then you're done. If not, then you'll know to look for another solution.

September 10th, 2015 2:43pm

Truncated Longs!? In all my years using Access and SQL Server I have never seen a number get truncated. Strings, yes, but that's another issue entirely. Are you sure they are truncated and not just hiding the right side? Widen the field in your table and look again.
September 10th, 2015 2:56pm

Yes, it is getting truncated - rounded to the nearest decimal actually. For example, a 73.2 becomes 73.0 and 36.8 because 37.0.

There are other columns that are Number and Double and they work fine. The only column that is Number and long integer is the issue.

September 10th, 2015 5:56pm

My query is run SSIS and the destination is MS ACCESS. The source is SQL Server. So I am not really opening Access to run a query, simply viewing after the load. Due to the issue, I checked in the design view of the table and noticed the field size different than the other Number columns.

I am restricted from changing a Registry entry at work even with my Administrative access.

September 10th, 2015 6:00pm

Hi NitaM,

This forum is for Developer discussions and questions involving Microsoft Access. Your issue is more related with SSIS, I will move this thread to the more related forum.

Reference: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqlintegrationservices

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Edward

September 10th, 2015 11:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics