Error when trying to view reports or manually processing the TFS data warehouse and analysis services cube

Hello Nachiket,

From error above it looks like TFS user "NT Authority\Network Services" doesnt have access to Analysis Service.

Have you installed SQL server on TFS server? I will recommend you to change user account for TFS for better control.

Steps here to grant permissions.

April 24th, 2015 4:56am

Hello Guys,

I am trying to configure the reporting for TFS using SQL Server. But I get following error when viewing any report:

So I try to manually process the cube to check if it works. I am following this article: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff400237.aspx

When I click on GetProcessingStatus and invoke it (with last field set as TRUE) I get following error:

Please advice as to how to resolve this issue and be able to see the reports.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 24th, 2015 5:10am

Hello Nachiket,

From error above it looks like TFS user "NT Authority\Network Services" doesnt have access to Analysis Service.

Have you installed SQL server on TFS server? I will recommend you to change user account for TFS for better control.

Steps here to grant permissions.

April 24th, 2015 8:05am

I assume that you have configured SSAS in TFS Admin console.

Following link might be helpful.

April 24th, 2015 9:25am

I assume that you have configured SSAS in TFS Admin console.

Following link might be he

April 25th, 2015 12:46am

I have managed to resolve this issue. Note that for all purposes of this question and answer, mydomain\tfsadmin is a generic user (used to install all software). This is a proof of concept account, for test purposes

The thing is that while installation of the SQL Analysis service I had given the username: mydomain\tfsadmin (a generic user for testing) as the Analysis service administrator, instead of the 'Domain admin' group.

Still I have managed to resolve this issue.

Steps:
1. Make sure that the user (mydomain\tfsadmin) is a member of Analysis Server -> TFS_Analysis db -> Roles -> TFSWarehouseAdministrator and TFSWarehouseDataReader. (This actually happens automatically when you run the TFS Admin console and configure reporting and provide the username that will access the Analysis db, etc. In my case the user is 'mydomain\tfsadmin')

2. It is a bad practice to manually process the cube (you can do this is make sure that there are no errors, but only after completing the following steps till step 5)

3. Also make sure that NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE is member of the Analysis db -> Roles -> TFSWarehouseAdministrator -> this will resolve the error which appears in the 2nd screenshot in the question.

4. Then you can right click on the Analysis db and run process. If this is throwing error as shown in above reply of mine, then you need to follow https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ff400237.aspx

a. http://localhost:8080/tfs/TeamFoundation/Administration/v3.0/WarehouseControlService.asmx

b. Choose ProcessWarehouse, run it.

c. Choose ProcessAnalysisDatabase, type 'Full' and run it.

d. Choose GetProcessingStatus, enter 'TRUE' in last field and run it.

e. I don't get any errors at this point.

5. Now you can connect to the Analysis server via SQL Mgmt Console, right click on Analysis db (TFS_Analysis) and click Process. It all works good.

6. Now you can browse to the report URL (to get this URL you can open Team explorer 2013, connect to you team project, on RHS click 'Reports', Click 'Go to Site'.

DONE.

April 25th, 2015 2:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics