Error when trying to Open Windows Firewall with Advanced security snap-in in GPO
Hi All, I hope you can help. We have Windows 2003 domain with Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controllers. When I try to create a GPO with Firewall settings using a Windows 2008 R2 server using the Group Policy Management / Group Policy Management Editor - Computer Configuration/Policies,Windows Settings/Security Settings/Windows Firewall with Advanced Security I get the following error; ________________________________________________________________________ There was an error opening the Windows Firewall with Advance Security snap-in An error occurred while trying to open the policy Error: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted Code: 0x54B ______________________________________________________________ Note: I can manually open the firewall OK but just can get it to load in the GPO. Any ideas? Thanks ECL
April 8th, 2011 6:26am

Hi, Please run services.msc and make sure the Windows Firewall service is set to Started and Automatic. If it is started, try to stop and restart it. Meanwhile, check if there is any relevant error in event viewer. Regards, BruceThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 11th, 2011 5:42am

Hi, It was already started and I restarted it but no joy and nothing in the event log. One thing I just noticed is the Windows 2008 Servers cannot access the PDC due to firewalls.. could that be the cause? If so we have no way around that at the moment unless there is a way to run the advance firewall from a Windows 2003 domain controller? Thanks ECL
April 11th, 2011 8:21am

The inability to access the PDCe is exactly the reason why you are getting this error. You are probably getting a prompt to connect to a different DC when you first open GPMC as well.
August 24th, 2011 4:20pm

Yes, I have the same issue, so what's the solution?
August 20th, 2012 10:11am

The inability to access the PDC - the answer above.
August 20th, 2012 10:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics