Error when setting up a failover cluster

Hi.  I'm getting the following error when I go to create a cluster in the Failover Cluster Manager in Windows Server 2008.

"The address 10.10.10.111 is not valid for its associated network"

I'm following the instruction in the book for the 70-462 exam.  There was a step that had me create a DNS A record for the address sql-cluster.contoso.com.  The IP address was mapped to 10.10.10.111.  I'm not sure if this is the culprit but its the only time I used that IP address in the setup.

Below are 2 screenshots that might help.  The first screenshot is the error.  The second screenshot is my DNS console.

August 25th, 2015 11:11pm

To resolve this problem, verify that the IP address that is on the same local area network (LAN) as the cluster IP address is listed as the first bound address:
  1. Right-click My Network Place, and then click Properties.
  2. Right-click the public network connection, and then click Properties.
  3. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Properties, and then click Advanced.
  4. Make a note of all IP addresses and Subnet Masks listed in the IP Addresses section.
  5. In the IP Addresses section, remove all address except for the address that is on the same subnet as the cluster IP address.
  6. Add the other IP address back to the IP Addresses section. Confirm that the correct address is now the first address listed.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2015 9:25pm

Thanks for the reply.  Please excuse my ignorance on my follow up question.

I don't see "My Network Place" anywhere.  I do see the following screen but there is only a single IP address and it is not the IP address I set up as the cluster.  Is this what you were referring to?

The SQL cluster IP address I created was 10.10.10.111

August 26th, 2015 11:41pm

your network belong.

ip addres:- 192.168.100.48

subnet :- 255.255.255.0

g\w :- 192.168.100.254   

try to use same range ip.

Do not use 10.10.10.111

August 27th, 2015 1:35am

I would recommend enlisting the help of your network engineers for this case. As VIMD mentioned, your network adapter's IP address is in the 192.168.100.x range, your cluster's Access Point IP address should be in the same range. Your network engineers can provide a valid IP address in that range.

Also, I noticed that the IP address 10.10.10.11 is already in the DNS zone Contoso.com. Did you manually create the DNS entry? If so, please remove this entry. The Failover Cluster Creation Wizard will automatically create the DNS entry for you if you have Active Directory-integrated DNS zones configured

August 27th, 2015 10:29am

To avoid your confusion and proceed with your test do following

Delete the DNS entry "10.10.10.111" and add your cluster account to the domain admin in the AD.

This will give you enough rights to make a computer entry in AD.

What you was trying to do is called pre staging.

August 27th, 2015 8:44pm

Edwin, thanks for the response.

Yes, I did create the IP address 10.10.10.111.  I'm studying for the Microsoft 70-462 exam and one of the steps says "use the DNS console to create a DNS A record for the address sql-cluster.contoso.com mapped to IP address 10.10.10.111."

First, I did find my mistake and changed my cluster's IP address to be in the same range (192.168.100.x).  Do you still suggest that I delete that DNS entry? If so, I wonder why they included it in the step prior to running the "Create Cluster Wizard" step.  What do you think?

Craig

August 27th, 2015 9:32pm

Thanks Kumar.  I will delete that entry.  Can you please elaborate on your second statement?  "Add your cluster account to the domain admin in the AD."  What is the "cluster account" you are referring to?  

August 27th, 2015 9:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics