Error when selecting administrative template in any GPO

Using Server 2012R2 and all updates downloaded/installed. Though this problem existed before running updates, it continues to persist. In GPO, if I open any policy and select Administrative Templates in either computer or user configuration, I get a popup that reads as follows: Resource '$(string.VerMgmt.Audit.Mode.Enable)' referenced in attribute displayName could not be found. File C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\Inetres.admx, line 1495, column 249.

It 'appears" I can still set policies and they work. But I'm concerned that something is missing in the referenced ADMX file. I have the Server 2012R2 installation CD. Is there a cab file on the CD where I can get a new copy of the inetres.admx file? If not, where can I get it online? I am of course, assuming the file is corrupt. Thanks.

November 23rd, 2014 10:54pm

Using Server 2012R2 and all updates downloaded/installed. Though this problem existed before running updates, it continues to persist. In GPO, if I open any policy and select Administrative Templates in either computer or user configuration, I get a popup that reads as follows: Resource '$(string.VerMgmt.Audit.Mode.Enable)' referenced in attribute displayName could not be found. File C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\Inetres.admx, line 1495, column 249.

It 'appears" I can still set policies and they work. But I'm concerned that something is missing in the referenced ADMX file. I have the Server 2012R2 installation CD. Is there a cab file on the CD where I can get a new copy of the inetres.admx file? If not, where can I get it online? I am of course, assuming the file is corrupt. Thanks.

These particular error messages can be misleading...
This error most often occurs, if you have mis-matched ADMX and ADML files.

This setting "VerMgmtAuditModeEnable" is a new setting, recently released for controlling the ActiveX-audit KB2841134, and so maybe you have updated the ADMX but not the corresponding ADML ?

The updated files are available here - make sure you have placed both ADMX and ADML, in the correct folder structure http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40905

On my machine, c:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\INETRES.ADMX contains Line 1495:
<policy name="VerMgmtAuditModeEnable" class="Both" displayName="$(string.VerMgmtAuditModeEnable)" explainText="$(string.IE_ExplainVerMgmtAuditModeEnable)" key="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext" valueName="AuditModeEnabled">

And in c:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\en-US\INETRES.ADML:
<string id="VerMgmtAuditModeEnable">Turn on ActiveX control logging in Internet Explorer</string>
      <string id="IE_ExplainVerMgmtAuditModeEnable">This policy setting determines whether Internet Explorer saves log information for ActiveX controls.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 23rd, 2014 11:50pm

Thanks. That was easy. After unzipping the download, I only had to copy the en-us\inetres.adml file to the c:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\en-us directory, overwriting the existing one in the destination. That did the trick!
November 24th, 2014 12:07am

Thanks, same problem answer works for me. Only copy en-us/inetres.adml
November 27th, 2014 9:55pm

I'm unable to replace the inetres.adml on Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials. I keep getting denied. I was able to make a copy of the orginial using copy+paste. I appreciate any suggestions on how to solve this gracefully. I'm hesitant to start changing rights.

Thanks,

Troy TAylor

December 4th, 2014 12:07am

Where aRe you copying to? Take ownership r of the folder and try again
December 4th, 2014 3:05am

I'm unable to replace the inetres.adml on Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials. I keep getting denied. I was able to make a copy of the orginial using copy+paste. I appreciate any suggestions on how to solve this gracefully. I'm hesitant to start changing rights.

Thanks,

Troy TAylor

You must "take ownership" of the files, and also grant yourself permissions to those files, to be able to replace those files.
By default, these files are installed by Windows Setup and the owner is setup to "Trusted Installer".
December 4th, 2014 3:42am

Thanks,

Troy TAylor

December 4th, 2014 7:51am

I ended up with this problem and like Troy's post above I am unable to replace the new inetres.adml due to, "You'll need to provide administrative permissions to copy" etc. and then you press "continue" and UAC comes up and you enable, but you sill can't get it to successfully copy over the old inetres.adml file.

I see this here which does show how to create an admin account for this type of thing... (although I am running Windows 8.1)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3040.enable-disable-the-local-hidden-built-in-administrator-account-in-windows-7.aspx

I don't really want to create an admin account that has full access because I think that is a security concern. I also think allowing me access to change this might be a security concern (what if something impersonates that they are me.)

Is there a way to copy/replace that inetres.adml file without possibly weakening your security?

If not, what specific Windows update caused this issue? And how big of a problem is this if the inetres.adml file is not fixed?

Thanks...

• Edited by The SandS 13 hours 35 minutes ago
December 6th, 2014 5:05pm

You need to "take ownership" of the specific file you want to replace. To do that, you need to open a command prompt with right clicking on it in the start menu, and selecting the "run as administrator" option. Then it's "takeown.exe <path/filename>"  See http://windowsitpro.com/windows-vista/taking-ownership-file-or-folder-command-line for details on using the takeown.exe command.

Once you have taken ownership of the file, then you can add your login under the security tab and give it full control. At that point, you can delete the file to replace it with the more current one.

December 6th, 2014 5:12pm

I ended up with this problem and like Troy's post above I am unable to replace the new inetres.adml due to, "You'll need to provide administrative permissions to copy" etc. and then you press "continue" and UAC comes up and you enable, but you sill can't get it to successfully copy over the old inetres.adml file.

I see this here which does show how to create an admin account for this type of thing... (although I am running Windows 8.1)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3040.enable-disable-the-local-hidden-built-in-administrator-account-in-windows-7.aspx

I don't really want to create an admin account that has full access because I think that is a security concern. I also think allowing me access to change this might be a security concern (what if something impersonates that they are me.)

Is there a way to copy/replace that inetres.adml file without possibly weakening your security?

If not, what specific Windows update caused this issue? And how big of a problem is this if the inetres.adml file is not fixed?

Thanks...

• Edited by The SandS Saturday, December 06, 2014 9:49 PM
December 6th, 2014 9:48pm

Try changing the permissions! 
August 18th, 2015 10:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics