Error when creating new DFS Namespace

Hello, 

I have 2 new server 2012 r2 VM files servers (FS1 and FS2) which are operating in a failover cluster (FS-CL1). There is a single clustered disk (E:) which contains the file shares and is passed back and forth between the file servers as it should depending on availability. 

I'm attempting to create a namespace such that instead of having my users browse \\fs-cl1\share1 to connect to the shares located on the clustered disk, I'm hoping to achieve a domain based namespace (\\MYDOMAIN.COM\share1) using DFS Namespace. 

When walking through the new dfs namespace wizard on either FS1 or FS2 I can create the share namespace fine if the share is located on the local disk C: of either machine. If I configure the namespace to point to a location on E: I'm prompted with an error:

"\\MYDOMAIN.COM\share1: The namespace server \\FS1\share1 cannot be added. This shared resource does not exist"

Any help would be great appreciated.

Thanks.

January 27th, 2015 6:49pm

Hi Walsh,

There is a single clustered disk (E:) which contains the file shares and is passed back and forth between the file servers as it should depending on availability

Is this a shared disk between your virtual servers FS1 & FS2? Are these VM's running on hyper-v? Have you configured cluster between guest OS? Are you able to access the share using UNC manually from FS1 & FS2? Please provide more information regarding your setup.

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 28th, 2015 8:56am

Yes it's a shared disk which is connected by iSCSI to a volume on the SAN. The VM's are running on Hyper-v. My cluster is not a guest cluster. I've created a new VHD file for each of FS1 and FS2. They are separate entities.  

I can manually create a share on E: when it's connected to FS1 for example and open the shared folder from anywhere on my network by browsing \\fs-cl1\share1. I can access this share from FS1, FS2 or any other machine.  

January 28th, 2015 4:00pm

Can you check this link ?

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/977511?wa=wsignin1.0

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 31st, 2015 11:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics