Error renaming file being dropped in FTP server of a VAN ....

I am sending FTP EDI X12 856's documents to many customers using the FTP adapter "as is" and have had no problems in close to 4 years....

I am know for the first time dealing with a VAN and getting an FTP error. It appears that the file is received any way but the error causes a suspended orch and I have an auto re-try on suspended orchestrations which now sends duplicate files to the customer.

This the FTP log: the last line causes the error, this all adapter code.

< 230 User logged in, proceed.
> PWD
< 257 "/" is current directory.
> PWD
> PWD
> CWD /inbound/
< 250 Directory changed to /inbound
> PWD
< 257 "/inbound" is current directory.
> TYPE A
< 200 Command TYPE okay.
> PORT 10,44,10,42,242,0
< 200 PORT command successful.
> STOR {169cad65-c108-486c-b3e1-edd5b8f05fea}
< 150 File status okay; about to open data connection.
< 226 Transfer complete.
> RNFR {169cad65-c108-486c-b3e1-edd5b8f05fea}
< 350 Requested file action pending further information.
> RNTO /inbound/{1DA6D1FC-029A-4A74-942C-20AFBD6C9DB0}.EDI
< 553 Can't rename file.
> QUIT
< 221 Goodbye. 

This is the error I see in the suspended transaction: what I think is weird is that it implies permission issues but the file is sent anyway.

Please verify the destination folder has the correct permissions. Inner Exception details: "The file name is not allowed on the FTP server. ". 

January 23rd, 2015 7:18pm

Do you have the Spooling Folder property set?

This behavior is likely because the FTP Adapter is writing the data to the temporary folder, then move/rename (same thing in NTFS) to the target folder.

This particular FTP server either does not support that or has some internal behavior that makes an immediate RNTO not work.

This is not a problem with the FTP Adapter, it's a behavior specific to that target site.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 23rd, 2015 9:23pm

Do you have the Spooling Folder property set?

This behavior is likely because the FTP Adapter is writing the data to the temporary folder, then move/rename (same thing in NTFS) to the target folder.

This particular FTP server either does not support that or has some internal behavior that makes an immediate RNTO not work.

This is not a problem with the FTP Adapter, it's a behavior specific to that target site.

January 23rd, 2015 9:23pm

Can you please elaborate on the "spooler folder"? is this an FTP or BizTalk thing? would this be on my or their end?

Thanks for your reply .. 

January 23rd, 2015 11:54pm

OK, I got it ... How do I configure the FTP adapter to stop writing to a temp file, the VAN can't handle it - it appears that the file is dropped in the FTP folder and then tries to rename the file to add the .EDI file extension but the VAN moves the file to an archive immediately and this fails, the file is received but I get an error back and I have code to retry sending on errors.

Thanks

January 24th, 2015 12:56am

Hi

You can check FTP adapter property in below MSDN link for your Spooling property .

FTP Adapter Configuration Properties

Thanks

Abhishek

January 24th, 2015 4:41pm

Hi

You can check FTP adapter property in below MSDN link for your Spooling property .

FTP Adapter Configuration Properties

Thanks

Abhishek

January 24th, 2015 4:41pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics