Error migrating between hosts

Hello, I'm attempting to use SCVMM R2 to move a VM from a Dell R710 server down to a Dell PE2950 server.  I'm moving a VM which was originally on the other server, but I recently performed a wipe/reload on the older one to have both servers on Server 2008 R2.

When I try to select the other server, the prerequesite check gives the following error to not allow migration to that host:

Virtual machine MOVING-VM is using processor-specific features not supported on host DESTINATION-VM. To allow for migration of this virtual machine to a server with a different processor, modify the virtual machine settings to limit the processor features used by the virtual machine.

I'm more than happy to change the CPU setting it wants, but all I see is the number of virtual processors to change. (It has 2)

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

-Tim

July 9th, 2010 8:01pm

The Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version setting ensures that the virtual machine uses only the features of the processor that are available on all versions of a virtualization-capable processor by the same processor manufacturer. It does not provide compatibility between different processor manufacturers.

The setting is useful for high availability and backup and recovery scenarios because it makes it easier to move a highly available virtual machine to another node in a cluster or restore the virtual machine to different hardware.

Access to the processor configuration is gained by selecting the Processor item from the hardware list

1. Open Hyper-V Manager. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Hyper-V Manager.
  2. In the Action pane, under the virtual machine name, click Settings. Then, in the navigation pane, click the appropriate hardware setting as described in the following steps.

3. To configure the processor, click Processor.
  4. While you are on this page, if your VMs are highly-available (and why wouldn’t you want that?), then you need to review the settings in the Processor Compatibility section:

• The Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version setting ensures that the virtual machine uses only the features of the processor that are available on all versions of a virtualization-capable processor by the same processor manufacturer. It does not provide compatibility between different processor manufacturers.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 10th, 2010 2:18am

That fixed it!  Just to clarify... I used the native Hyper-V manager on the current host to modify the CPU compatibility settings while the VM was turned OFF.

After that, I was able to migrate between Hyper-V hosts using SCVMM.

Thanks,

-Tim

July 10th, 2010 12:27pm

The compatibility setting is in advanced in Server 2012 R2.

Should this setting be changed on the source host before exporting the VM or can it just be done after importing the VM on the destination host?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 12th, 2015 7:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics