Error message after installing KB975830...
Hi all; In one of my DNS servers I installed the KB975830 patch and then restarted the server. After the restart, I saw that the DNS Server service is not started and when I want to manually start it, the following error message appears: Could Not Start DNS Server service on Local Computer. Error 14: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. I encountered this situation in another DNS server, too. Any idea? Thanks
January 16th, 2010 10:10pm

Have you seen this one?http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverDS/thread/27fa1736-fd8f-4e70-ae83-185ab3c0ce86Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 16th, 2010 10:18pm

Thanks for your reply; I check this issue on two different domain controllers with Service Pack 2 installed.
January 16th, 2010 10:30pm

What errors are in the system event log since last restart? When you view the logged events in Event Viewer (double-click them in the right-hand pane) in the upper right corner, third button down is a copy to clipboard, then you can paste in the body of a reply message.Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
January 16th, 2010 10:32pm

The following two events appears that is related to this patch (I think): The DNS server could not bind a User Datagram Protocol (UDP) socket to 127.0.0.1. The event data is the error code. Restart the DNS server or reboot your computer. The DNS server could not open socket for address 127.0.0.1. Verify that this is a valid IP address for the server computer. If it is NOT valid use the Interfaces dialog under Server Properties in the DNS Manager to remove it from the list of IP interfaces. Then stop and restart the DNS server. (If this was the only IP interface on this machine and the DNS server may not have started as a result of this error. In that case remove the DNS\Parmeters\ ListenAddress value in the services section of the registry and restart.) If this is a valid IP address for this machine, make sure that no other application (e.g. another DNS server) is running that would attempt to use the DNS port.
January 16th, 2010 10:36pm

What source and event ID? Or just use copy to clipboard function.Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
January 16th, 2010 10:38pm

Ok, sorry: The first event: Event Type: Error Event Source: DNS Event Category: None Event ID: 407 Date: 1/16/2010 Time: 11:04:05 PM User: N/A Computer: SERV10 Description: The DNS server could not bind a User Datagram Protocol (UDP) socket to 127.0.0.1. The event data is the error code. Restart the DNS server or reboot your computer. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Data: 0000: 26 27 00 00 &'.. The second event: Event Type: Error Event Source: DNS Event Category: None Event ID: 408 Date: 1/16/2010 Time: 11:04:05 PM User: N/A Computer: SERV10 Description: The DNS server could not open socket for address 127.0.0.1. Verify that this is a valid IP address for the server computer. If it is NOT valid use the Interfaces dialog under Server Properties in the DNS Manager to remove it from the list of IP interfaces. Then stop and restart the DNS server. (If this was the only IP interface on this machine and the DNS server may not have started as a result of this error. In that case remove the DNS\Parmeters\ ListenAddress value in the services section of the registry and restart.) If this is a valid IP address for this machine, make sure that no other application (e.g. another DNS server) is running that would attempt to use the DNS port. For more information, see "DNS server log reference" in the online Help. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
January 16th, 2010 10:42pm

You should always use the actual machine's static IP address for DNS on DNS server (never 127.0.0.1). Please try this and let us know the result.Also note:(not sure if this one still applies though)Events 407 and 408 Are Reported in the DNS Server Event Loghttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279678 Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
January 16th, 2010 10:45pm

Thanks for your help; The server is domain controller, too. As you know, when we promote a server to a domain controller, it by default change the DNS server address filed to 127.0.0.1. As you suggested I changed the address to its actual IP address with the same result. Thanks again.
January 16th, 2010 10:48pm

Did you restart it?Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
January 16th, 2010 10:49pm

After the restart the problem solved... The wired section is that, this situation only occurs after installing this hotfix. I mean that before installing this hotfix, although the IP address of the DNS Server filed is 127.0.0.1 but the service can start without any problem!? Thanks anyway.
January 16th, 2010 10:59pm

Yes, funny thing. It may not even be what fixed it but it's always a good thing to have the correct address rather than local host.Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
January 16th, 2010 11:01pm

More wired thing is that, now I changed the address to 127.0.0.1 and then restarted the server and now the DNS Service can start without any problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 16th, 2010 11:11pm

But I wouldn't recommend leaving it. Also the KB975830 was a hotfix and as such is not fully regression tested. If you're careful with the questions you ask you can probably get some free support for the issue if it crops up again.Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
January 16th, 2010 11:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics