Error code 1603 while trying to install Integration Services on an XP Pro SP2 "repaired" P2V VM

This is actually a solution.  I'm posting in case someone else runs into this problem.

I was experimenting with a trying to revive a dead PC.  It was an old Pentium III running a legacy app that had a hard disk fail.  I had a very old Ghost image but recent "data-only" backups.  

Since I didn't have a PC to spare, I decided to try to Ghost the old image onto a VHD.  I was successful--VHD mount by AppAssure was very helpful.

But booting the VM resulted in a BSOD.  No problem I thought.  A repair install using the XP Pro CD should get it going.  It did.  Successfully boots but lacked Integration Services.  Able to login as the old local admin account.

Tried to install Integration Services as usual but part way through,  after "...framework install" or "ustor...something" and during "guest services", I got a 1603 error code.

After much fussing around I found that deep in the log files in C:\Windows (look for the most recent ones), there was an error trying to create the directory:  C:\program files\Hyper-V Integration Services".  I was local admin and the folder permissions for C:\Program Files" explicitly had full control for the local admin account so I couldn't understand why there was a problem.  Just on a lark, I gave "Everyone" full control over "C:\program files" and afterwards, re-running the Integration Services carried on to finish.  

I'm too much of a noob to know what happened but I'm just reporting what I found was the solution.

September 21st, 2010 10:06am

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your sharing!

By the way, I would like to let you know what we don’t support to use ghost to perform a P2V. If you want to transfer the physical computer to a VM on Hyper-V, you should use some dedicate transfer tools such as Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager or Disk2VHD.

System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008

http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/virtual-machine-manager.aspx

Disk2vhd

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 24th, 2010 6:49am

Thank you, your solution saved me tonight :)
August 19th, 2013 9:57pm

i love you! thanks!!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 16th, 2014 7:59pm

this error was related to NTFS security, on win 2k, xp... not sure what's the case here
June 21st, 2015 10:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics