Error attempting to install Windows Server 2008
I am attempting to install Windows Server 2008 on to an older server that meets the physical hardware requirements ... I think. The system is a Dell PowerEdge SC420. About a 1/2 hour into the installation I receive the following error:Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070070.Can anyone help me understand what this errormessageis attempting to tell me.Thanks,Marcus
April 16th, 2009 10:36am

hi ther,e this error is due to insufficient space, please make sure you have sufficient space on root drive. sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 16th, 2009 1:25pm

Hello,I have over 100GB available on my hard drive. I performed scan disk and defrag. I found other posting that indicated that it maybe insufficient hard drive space so I eliminated that early in the process. Do you have any other suggestions or could it be my hard-drive?Thanks,
April 17th, 2009 9:19am

hi Marcus, Seem there is problem with you installation media or DVD drive.This problem happen usually when corrupt installation media.Try with another DVD drive and another installation media. RegardsChinthaka -If you think my thread is helpful for you, Please vote.
April 18th, 2009 1:55pm

Hello, You havent mentioned the space of your Hard Drive where you want Windows 2008 to be installed. Please make it sure that your dvdrom and media is perfect. To make it surethat thereis a problem with you media files youcan download the Windows 2008 Trial from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspxand try installing it.Thanks and Hope it helps
April 19th, 2009 3:05am

hi marcus,did you had a chance to go through the above procedure ? have a good daysainath Windows Driver Development
April 19th, 2009 6:48am

Hello All,Thanks for the suggestions and assistance. As mentioned previously I have plenty of free hard-drive space. I did notice some imperfections on my DVD I attempted to clean it. Thatdidn't help.I'm anAction Pack subscribersoI ordered another DVD. I willgive a status update following receipt and re-install attempt.ThanksMarcus
April 21st, 2009 9:14am

hi marcus, thanks for the update and we will wait for the update best of luck .sainath Windows Driver Development
April 22nd, 2009 3:47am

OK,I've tried a different DVD with no success. I didn't swap out the DVD drive, because that doesn't seem logical since the install runs at least 20 minutes be for it fails. However, if anyone feels it could cause the problem I'm open to trying it. Would the hard drive cause this error or maybe the BIOS?More help would be appreciated..Thanks Marcus
April 30th, 2009 11:41am

OK, I've tried a different DVD with no success. I didn't swap out the DVD drive, because that doesn't seem logical since the install runs at least 20 minutes be for it fails. However, if anyone feels it could cause the problem I'm open to trying it. Would the hard drive cause this error or maybe the BIOS? More help would be appreciated..Thanks Marcus HI, I suggest do In-Place upgrade from Windows 2003 X64 to Windows 2008 . It might work :) Regards Chinthaka
April 30th, 2009 11:47am

It's realy sucks, I met same problem. My Hardware configureDELL Optiplex 755.500G Harddisk as boot disk,onlythis 500G harddisk in my PC, still not enough? my god.I try I can install XP, Win7, waste my two days.Godhelp me.
November 19th, 2009 11:44am

I ran into the same problem today. I was trying to install to a 500gb HD so I knew it was not a disk space issue. After burning several CD's beliving it was the media, I noticed there was a a reserved 100mb partition on the drive. When I deleted that partition, and reran setup i was able to install win 2008 properly.Hope this helps some!Brad Nelson MCSE/DCSE/A+/Network+/WCSP (800) 713-8031 Main Phone Number (419) 735-4889 Fax (954) 678-2600 x 201 Direct Voice (305) 934-5693 Cell bnelson@fastsupportonline.com www.fastsupportonline.com
December 13th, 2009 5:43pm

I have this same problem.I have windows 7 installed on another partition on the same drive but there is plenty of space left on the drive so I know that isn't the problem. I would try to delete the reserverd partion Brad mentioned but I read somewhere this was created by windows 7 during installation and might currupt the MBR if deleted. Can anyone verify if Brad's solution or any worked for them......Thanks Waiting patiently while pulling my hair out.
January 22nd, 2010 1:30pm

I have run into this on more than one occasion and I think I know why it is happening, but I am not sure how to fix it yet. The last couple of posts are on the right track with the reserved 100mb partition being the problem. In my case I am running a custom installation with $OEM$ added to the DVD:/sources/ path. This is so I can run HP Proliant driver and agent installs after the OS install is complete. This failure seems to occur when these files are being copied over (93% on my status). The Windows 2008 install is choosing this 100MB partition path as the temp location for all these files, which simply is not big enough. This partition exists so that boot files can be separate from the system partition, it helps avoid the situation where if the C: drive fills up it does not corrupt the MBR and make the system un-startable. I have two choices at this point, I can make the boot partition bigger in the autounattend.XML, or I can try and find a parameter to change in the autounattend (or elsewhere) to force these temp files to another location. I'll post back if I figure this out
April 23rd, 2010 7:02pm

--- I ended up resolving this by removing the 100MB boot partition altogether for my unattended Windows 2008 sp2 install. I left the setting in place for my WIndows 2008 R2 autounttend install. This partition appears to be an advent for 2008R2/Win7. It does'nt seem to behave well for R1/Vista.
April 28th, 2010 7:28pm

Marcus, Did you ever solve this problem? How did you boot/access the Windows Server 2008 DVD? Thanks, EAK
August 17th, 2010 8:18pm

I had the same problem: trying to install Small Business Server Premium 2008 64bit with plenty of disk space and I kept getting error code: 0x80070070. It turns out the problem was that I was attempting the install on top of an SBS 2003 32bit installation -- not an upgrade, which is not possible from 32bit to 64bit, just trying to install 2008 on the same drive that held a 2003 install. (I didn't care about the data, obviously.) I reformatted the operating system partition, obliterating the 2003 install, and the 2008 install proceeded normally.
December 15th, 2010 1:06pm

I just want to let everyone know that I had this same problem today and the solution glenn380 chose fixed my problem completely, in fact i was doing the same thing glenn380 was. Thank you SO much.
September 12th, 2012 12:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics