Error applying security permissions Win2k8
Hi, I'm having problems modifying the security settings on one of our Win2k8 servers with SQL2k5. I have a standard Win2k8 MS build server without any hardening and I've disabled UAC. One of the apps were installing requires the I grant the "Network Service" permissions to various folders on the System drive c:\ such as the; \Program file \Windows\microsoft.net and a few others but I find when I try to add the network service to these directories and give it "read only" permission I get an error message saying "Error applying security" "C:\windows\microsoft.net" "Access denied" can anyone give me some advice on the reason or is it something I've missed, because I know in the past with Win2k3 it was pretty straight forward and we didn't have any issues but is it some new secruity settings in Win2k8 I missed. After just doing some more reading I found that compared to Win2k3 where "Administrators" have "Full control" to the system drive seems Win2k8 the roles permission has been restrictired and I looked at "c:\windows\microsoft.net" and the only permission administrators have is "special". So if thats the case whats the recommended approach to modify permissions for these system directories in Wink2k8 can anyone advise. Many thanks, Momo
February 27th, 2010 8:31am

Hi Momo,cant you modify your application to add the required permissions , I believe you are using .net application and AFAIK you can embedded the permissions within your application or you have an option to add the network service to your .net file . i think the below link might be useful. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998320.aspx
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 9th, 2010 6:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics