Error Code 0x80070035 - The network path was not found, Windows Server 2008 SP2
I have bee receivingfollowing "error code 0x80070035 - The network path was not found"when trying to open fileshares in both directions using Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 at both ends. The issue is identical to the KB article KB958285, however the hotfix is only valid up to but not including SP2. One of the servers in question has moved several times between 2 subnets seperated by a VPN. I have tried changing settings in and around the local NIC/DNS Suffixand in the network connection sharing centre, but with no luck. Firewalls are turned off at both sites, and pings andAD queries are successful (one server is a DC). DNS is also working correctly at both sites. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.Richard
November 26th, 2009 3:05pm

Hi,Thanks for the post.First, please check if this issue will occur if we disable the IPv6 feature. Meanwhile, please use the PortqryV2 tool to check if the TCP ports 139 and 445 on the corresponding host are open.Here is the link to download PortqryV2 tool:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=89811747-C74B-4638-A2D5-AC828BDC6983&displaylang=enFor more information about Portqry, please refer to the following link:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310099If these ports are blocked, please check if the Windows Firewall or Router block them.Thanks,Miles
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 30th, 2009 1:29pm

Hi, Thanks for the post. First, please check if this issue will occur if we disable the IPv6 feature. Meanwhile, please use the PortqryV2 tool to check if the TCP ports 139 and 445 on the corresponding host are open. Here is the link to download PortqryV2 tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=89811747-C74B-4638-A2D5-AC828BDC6983&displaylang=en For more information about Portqry, please refer to the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310099 If these ports are blocked, please check if the Windows Firewall or Router block them. Thanks, Miles I'm facing the exact same issue Richard mentioned. I have a Windows 2008 x64 SP2 server that cannot reach a Share. Some other Windows 2003 servers reach the same share normally. I checked and disabled IPV6, TCP/IP NetBios Helper is started as well. Please advise.
June 14th, 2010 3:32pm

Hi, Thanks for the post. First, please check if this issue will occur if we disable the IPv6 feature. Meanwhile, please use the PortqryV2 tool to check if the TCP ports 139 and 445 on the corresponding host are open. Here is the link to download PortqryV2 tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=89811747-C74B-4638-A2D5-AC828BDC6983&displaylang=en For more information about Portqry, please refer to the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310099 If these ports are blocked, please check if the Windows Firewall or Router block them. Thanks, Miles I'm facing the exact same issue Richard mentioned. I have a Windows 2008 x64 SP2 server that cannot reach a Share. Some other Windows 2003 servers reach the same share normally. I checked and disabled IPV6, TCP/IP NetBios Helper is started as well. Please advise.
June 14th, 2010 3:32pm

June 14th, 2010 10:32pm

Has this been resolved I am having the exact same problem
January 31st, 2011 6:11pm

January 31st, 2011 6:11pm

February 1st, 2011 2:11am

Hi, I am also having the same issues and have run the port query. I see that all ports are open and listening or are open accordingly, any other suggestions?
February 10th, 2011 12:22pm

Hi, I am also having the same issues and have run the port query. I see that all ports are open and listening or are open accordingly, any other suggestions?
February 10th, 2011 12:22pm

February 10th, 2011 8:22pm

I have the same issue and followed every post on the subject. Did you ever find a solution?
March 16th, 2011 10:48am

I have the same issue and followed every post on the subject. Did you ever find a solution?
March 16th, 2011 10:48am

March 16th, 2011 5:48pm

Same issue here. Win 2K8 Ent R2 x64 to Win 2K3 Std SP2 x86. 2K8 is the PDC and 2K3 is the primary file server and a BDC. I can RDP, ping, browse via IP, etc etc etc, but cannot use windows explorer and DNS/Netbios to browse shares. KAV is turned off, as well as windows firewall, Netbios over TCP/IP is on, IPV6 is off, and the aboive portqry queries show up as listening on both 139 and 445. It was working fine until recently.
April 11th, 2011 6:43pm

Same issue here. Win 2K8 Ent R2 x64 to Win 2K3 Std SP2 x86. 2K8 is the PDC and 2K3 is the primary file server and a BDC. I can RDP, ping, browse via IP, etc etc etc, but cannot use windows explorer and DNS/Netbios to browse shares. KAV is turned off, as well as windows firewall, Netbios over TCP/IP is on, IPV6 is off, and the aboive portqry queries show up as listening on both 139 and 445. It was working fine until recently.
April 11th, 2011 6:43pm

April 12th, 2011 1:43am

Had this same issues, resolve by Microsoft Support. Cause is unknown, but the solution is: 1. Remove the DNS entries from TCP/IP properties 2. Restart the machine 3. Notice, sharing is now working! 4. Reconfigure the DNS entries in TCP/IP properties
April 15th, 2011 10:46am

Had this same issues, resolve by Microsoft Support. Cause is unknown, but the solution is: 1. Remove the DNS entries from TCP/IP properties 2. Restart the machine 3. Notice, sharing is now working! 4. Reconfigure the DNS entries in TCP/IP properties
April 15th, 2011 10:46am

April 15th, 2011 5:46pm

I solved it as follows: In the Network Properties window, install a new service 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks'.
December 31st, 2011 12:06pm

I solved it as follows: In the Network Properties window, install a new service 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks'.
December 31st, 2011 12:06pm

December 31st, 2011 12:13pm

I thought I would add in another scenario, since this link came to the top of my list in the search engine. We are running 2008 R2 with SP1 (it happened without SP1 as well) We could not map using UNC (IP, FQDN, or netbios name). We could ping access the other servers via other utils like event viewer and services.msc but just could not map. In our case it turned out to be a VMWARE issue but we still had to make a regedit change first You have to go to regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order\ And add LanmanWorkstation to Providerorder I found on a Citrix board that citrix has an issue with this as well If you're running VM here is an additional step you should do as well When you upgrade VMware Tools installed with HGFS from ESX 3.x to ESX 4.x, the HGFS driver may not get uninstalled properly. In this case, the virtual machine's network Provider Order tab in Network Connections > Advanced > Advanced Settings displays incorrect information and the virtual machine may lose network connectivity. To avoid this issue, uninstall VMware Tools 3.x before installing VMware Tools 4.x. To workaround this issue, if you have already upgraded VMware Tools: Click Start > Run, type regedit, and click OK. The Registry Editor window opens. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order\. Delete the reference to hgfs. Reboot the virtual machine. We found that if you strip out the HGFS, you do not have to reboot for the provider order tab to come back I hope that this saves people a lot of time. I spent days researching this.
December 4th, 2012 11:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics