Error 9002: What do the different state codes mean?

Title sums it up. I know what error 9002 is, but have found no single source documenting the state codes. Can someone share that information please?

Thanks.

September 2nd, 2015 9:49am

Sorry, but that doesn't help. I'm trying to find out what the different state codes for Error 9002 mean not what Error 9002 means.

Put another way, what are the differences between Error 9002 State: 3 and Error 9002 State:4 and Error 9002 State: 6?

September 2nd, 2015 11:30am

Well that's not documented as like Login failure. As a user, always 9002 have to be checked for the LOG_reuse_wait_desc in sys databases irrespective of its states. The states might make sense only to CSS people I guess
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 11:59am

Thanks. I understand it isn't documented which is why I'm asking for someone to provide it.

Cheers.

September 2nd, 2015 12:35pm

Its documented please see this BOL Document

You would also find lot of information if you run below command in SQL Server

select * from sys.messages where language_id=1033 

September 2nd, 2015 1:08pm

Gentlemen, 

I don't seem to be communicating very well. The STATE CODE for error 9002 does not appear to be documented. The sys.messages view does not tell you the state codes for errors. It just gives a 'friendly' explanation of the error.

If you look at error 18456 that is always a login failure. The answer as to why the login failed is found in the state code which is only truly visible in the errorlog of the source sql server.

I am looking for the same explanation as to the state codes for error 9002. Do not tell me it means the log file is full. I know that. That is not what I'm asking.

September 2nd, 2015 1:13pm

I don't seem to be communicating very well. The STATE CODE for error 9002 does not appear to be documented. The sys.messages view does not tell you the state codes for errors. It just gives a 'friendly' explanation of the error.

Jamie,

Did you actually went through article I posted completely if you see there is range of number given and your lies between 9000 to 9999 and 9002 is documented in that.

I am looking for the same explanation as to the state codes for error 9002. Do not tell me it means the log file is full. I know that. That is not what I'm asking.
Then what are you asking for, what explanation you need can you be specific. This is simply means log file full message. Nothing more MS would tell you. If you can be specific I can tell you more

September 2nd, 2015 1:22pm

Shanky,

What he is asking for is documentation for states like state1, state2 etc for Error 9002. which is what I said is not documented. I have been trying to make him understand the same that unlike "Login Failure" there isn't any documentation for states for 9002.

September 2nd, 2015 2:41pm

The vast majority of errors never use anything but state 1. A very few error does use the state to communicate something, like the well-known login error.

Did you ever see anything else than state 1 for 9002? Just quirious... I've never seen anything suggesting that SQL Server has anything to communicate with the state for 9002, so I haven't paying attention to the state. 

September 2nd, 2015 3:23pm

Yes there are multiple state codes. I've experienced multiple codes and a quick search online shows states 1,2,3,4,5 & 6 at least.
September 2nd, 2015 3:30pm

Hello,

"You can just match the value returned as State in your case with one in the list of possible values as documented in sys.databases for the log_reuse_wait column."

Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ialonso/archive/2012/10/15/what-s-the-meaning-of-different-states-for-error-9002.aspx

Look at the values for log_reuse_wait on the following article:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178534(v=sql.110).aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

September 2nd, 2015 3:42pm

Thank you!
September 2nd, 2015 3:58pm

Nice!
September 2nd, 2015 5:28pm

Shanky,

What he is asking for is documentation for states like state1, state2 etc for Error 9002. which is what I said is not documented. I have been trying to make him understand the same that unlike "Login Failure" there isn't any documentation for states for 9002.

September 3rd, 2015 3:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics